Travel with which card

(Mark Darling) #1

Hi,

I go away to Spain in a couple of weeks, planning on taking my Monzo card, but which one? I understand the CA card doesn’t support magstripe transactions, but are there any other downsides?

My prepaid is currently empty, but can transfer funds over should the prepaid be considered a more reliable travel card?

That said, fingers crossed my account will be migrated in the next couple of weeks so the two become one.

Mark

(Hugh) #2

Not really, other than you pay ATM transaction fee (with a current account card)

(Mark Darling) #3

Is there a difference in fees between the two cards that I have missed? I understand ATM fees are potentially coming, but not arrived yet, or have they?

Not that I plan on using an ATM much, just wondering.

(Hugh) #4

From what I understand, ATM fees are charged - at cost - for all current account cards. I don’t have any sources for this other than what people having been saying on here so if someone important like @tomsr has more accurate info that would be great to know :+1:

I think you are both right. The charges for withdrawals abroad have not been introduced on either card, but charges for withdrawals in the UK where ATM say there is a withdrawal fee these are being applied to the one card but not the other.

(Bruce) #6

I’d also love to know more details on this… how did I miss it lol

I just went to South Africa. And as the atm are magstripe my current account could not withdraw cash - which is needed for tipping everywhere. Had to revert to pre pay

(Justin) #7

My habit has become to take both - with my Halifax Clarity Credit Card as a back-up.

I’ve recently faced a couple of difficulties using Monzo (which were quickly rectified) so for the time being still carry a backup card - just in case.

If Monzo enable magstripe activation before they close the prepaid card, I fully expect to use my Monzo debit card exclusively. However, still not confirmed that this functionality will be enabled prior to migration.

(Geoff Pascoe) #8

I don’t think there’s any fees for cash withdrawals on the current account yet. I made two withdrawals overseas today, with no fees.

(Tom ) #9

Thanks @crablab - not important but I do volunteer to keep forum in order where possible.

A) fees for withdrawing cash from ATMs abroad are not applicable yet - this is prepaid and CA
B) magstripe does not work with CA yet. This is mentioned in the help section of the CA app
C) separately - if I’m reading correctly - cash machines that state they will charge a fee (ie £1.85) will sometimes not charge due to a bug that’s being fixed

(Mark Darling) #10

Thanks for clarifying Tom

I have said it before, and I’ll say it again: Never travel with one card only. See my old post for my reasoning.

(Mark Darling) #12

Totally agree. To confirm, I was not taking “only” my Monzo card, I have a backup - just don’t want to have to carry a Monzo card to “backup” my other Monzo card. My question was which (at this point in time), is regarded as most stable for international travel.

Based on the above comments, I think I this is the prepaid in case of Magstripe terminals.

(Hugh) #13

I mean you can always top up a prepaid for a current account card (if you’re on the preview)!

(Harry) #14

I’ve used the CA card multiple times in the last two months overseas at ATMs and at POS, I haven’t been charged any fees :slight_smile:

As a back up I used to always carry a Mastercard and a Visa branded debit card in case any issues with one card scheme. However with most banks now switched over to Mastercard I instead take one card with a UK BIN and the other with a non UK BIN.

I have a Visa, MasterCard and Amex and take them all, just in case. Amex will be last as their overseas rates are eye watering.

To be fair, I’ve never had a problem with any card. Usually my Halifax Clarity wins overseas, it’s nit failed me yet.

It’s stable and I get no issues with spending anywhere with it.

(system) #17

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.