Travel reports

This looks excellent,

Im due to travel in a few days and would have loved to test this out. There’s always next time :slight_smile:

The idea of seeing the exchange rate in front of you when opening the app would also be beneficial.

I also agree that seeing the transaction in both GBP and the local currency is beneficial.

I was in Bulgaria over the weekend, and had some problems using the card. I’d say acceptance was about 50/50 with some retailers and ATMs taking the card and some terminals rejecting it as an invalid card. My hotel, for example, took the card fine but the Sofia Metro ticket machines didn’t.

I found that those ATMs where it would work recognised it as needing English language straight away, while if it asked me to select a language it rejected the card. Postbank and Банка ДСК (Banka DSK) ATMs were fine, but UniCredit BulBank ATMs weren’t.

2 Likes

The idea of a currency calculator is appealing - if you could also set sales taxes which could be included in the calculation before conversion - that would solve most of my issues when purchasing internationally :slight_smile:

Sales tax info would be super helpful, especially when it varies across states, like in the US - maybe a simple notification of the rate when you cross state/city lines, or if you could stick in your itinerary (not sure on the specifics of this, maybe linked to email or a travel planning app) it could tell you where the best place on your trip to make large value purchases is

3 Likes

When looking at the total spend, it would be good to be able to also include costs in the run up to the trip, like flights, accommodation etc. In essence you’d have a total spend whilst abroad, and total spend.

1 Like

This looks awesome, I’m not totally sure about the auto categorising to expenses or holiday as I like the breakdown into the categories as it is.

What I would really like though is to automatically assign all transactions to a hashtag. I just posted in feature requests Separate Hashtag Entry about a separate hashtag entry form I’ve put an example in that post about usage as well.

Being able to budget when I am on a business trip (within a daily spend limit) or on a personal holiday (to a saved amount) through use of an indicator that I can check up on myself or set notifications for if I am overspending would be useful for the duration of the trip.

2 Likes

i am going abroad next week, is this feature live yet? how can i find out what the current exchange rate is with Mondo? so i can decide whether i use the card or exchange some cash before?

you will lose about 3 or 4 cents in the euro if the exchange rate stays the same by exchanging cash at a post office / travel agent or bank rather than using your card - Ive used it all the time abroad and never been dissapointed with the exchange rate compared to buying cash before hand

I’d use the card and use an ATM. Check https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/

I’ve recently been to Singapore and found the exchange rate worked out better than all the offers I got to exchange cash for.

1 Like

Having just done some credit card reconciliation after a recent trip abroad, it reminded me to add some thoughts to the previous excellent mockups and ideas from community members. Hope these aren’t too late.

1. On the mockups, the largest text and most prominent position is given to “amount saved” and 'exchange rate". Whilst both of those are interesting, and from Mondo’s point of view are marketing… as JamesBell mentioned, day-to-day it would be much more useful to highlight things like “total amount spent”, “total spent today” and “pending transactions”.
  2. Regarding “pending transactions”, they don’t seem to appear anywhere in the screen mocks, and in fact this was the most important data while I was away. I think these might be “non settled” amounts in credit card speak. When I was abroad, many credit card transactions seemed to sit marked as “pending” (in another card provider’s app), and in some cases it took 3-6 days for them to become proper transactions. If you are using your card a few times every day abroad, the backlog of pending transactions is important to know. And thus “predicted spend/predicted balance” would be useful.
  3. In a few places the credit card I was using was rejected, and sometimes those events showed up briefly as phantom transactions. Not sure what the process is, but it might be good to show declines (and reason?) as well as settled transactions. maybe make this an optional display item?
  4. Caching maps etc would be good, as sometimes data is expensive, slow, or too valuable to use when abroad.
  5. Could integration with journey planners like TripIt help at all? I think you can export data from TripIt, so maybe that would help the Mondo app get context? Or possibly export place data from Mondo and add it to the TripIt schedule as a record of places visited.
3 Likes

Hi! New user of about two weeks - and also going away shortly, to Morocco - Have any of these features rolled out yet? I’d be very eager to try them out…

Also, off topic: Is your forum system off the shelf or hand rolled? I like the smartphone layout handling!

Forum is Discourse

This all looks very positive.

I am going travelling for 12-18 months in July so any features for international use you want to add, please feel free.

What do I need to do to have my identity verified? The increased limits would be of significant use when I go.

Thanks. Great progress so far on the bank / app etc. Keep up the good work.

I believe your identity is checked when you receive your card (here). Talk to the in-app customer support to confirm it :slight_smile:

Brilliant idea, this will make my life so much easier!

Do you have a timeframe for when this will launch?

Hi Phil,

I will be visiting Sri Lanka next month and planning to take my mondo card but couldn’t see what the exchange rate for SL rupee was on Mastercard exchange tool. Have you done a comparison of the rates?

What about using the card in the country for transactions and atms, any issues or tips?

Regards
Imran

The exchange rate you get on Mondo is very similar to what you get if you check Google or any other neutral service for the exchange rate.

ATMs worked fine, but beware there is a 40,000 rupees per day limit. I used Commercial Bank ATMs.

As with any card you use, make sure you do not accept the exchange rate given by the ATM. Ask it to charge your card in rupees, not pounds. Very important! Otherwise you will not get the best rate.

It would be great to get a map indicating spending areas for just everyday spends too. One of the things I loved about old Apple photos was going to a map and seeing all the places I’d taken pictures, this would be great to see with purchases too :slight_smile:

3 Likes