Trading 212 (T212)

I did, and haven’t got anything yet, I am going to give it till the end of the week

Most of those Apple Pay methods have disappeared now that I could use

That one there is my Starling Bank card and since I only sent £10 to Trading 212, I can only send £10 back

1 Like

That’s very bizarre, I put money in mine using Starling and then later switched it to Monzo. I was then able to withdraw it all to Monzo.

It seems perverse to link and limit the amounts to banks etc that you’ve deposited with.

Have you contacted them or tried doing this using the website?

I presume all your shares have been sold and it’s now just cash?

I had to wait a period of time after I sold my shares before I could withdraw the cash.

1 Like

I contacted them and they sorted it, yes. I gave them feedback too, because to me it’s a bit of a poor experience, all they needed was an email from the same email the account was opened with

1 Like

Anyone keeping cash savings in their T212 account now they offer 5%?

No FSCS, no thanks.

For me, Santander has the bulk (5.2%), then NatWest and RBS as much as they’ll take (6%), then a bit in Nationwide (5%???) and Premium Bonds.

1 Like

T212 are a member of the FSCS though

This means that in the unlikely event Trading 212, Interactive Brokers or the bank holding your client funds were to go into liquidation, and if there was a failure to safeguard your assets, the value of your client funds and client assets held with Trading 212 is protected by the FSCS up to a maximum of £85,000.

I can’t remember but I think they use Barclays to hold funds

Since when? That’s news to me, makes them more appealing though.

Edit: that wording is very very vague. I don’t think it implies that T212 themselves are members of the FSCS but rather that their safeguarded funds are held with FSCS institutions. And we know how well safeguarding works.

1 Like

I’m 99% sure it’s a case that with T212 itself is FCA authorised and FSCS protected so it covers up to £85k.

I’ve been with them a few years now and I can’t remember them not being.

Funds are held with Barclays, and the investments held with Interactive brokers (IBKR). With both it’ll be an omnibus account, and T212 database of who owns what funds and what shares.

Don’t know since when, but according to their own website, funds held with them are FSCS protected to the 85k limit:

https://www.trading212.com/money-protection

This means that in the unlikely event Trading 212, Interactive Brokers or the bank holding your client funds were to go into liquidation, and if there was a failure to safeguard your assets, the value of your client funds and client assets held with Trading 212 is protected by the FSCS up to a maximum of £85,000. This means that your client assets and funds up to that limit will be returned to you, minus the administrators’ costs in handling these.

1 Like

T212 offer multiple account types.

The share trading “invest”, share trading stocks and shares ISA “ISA”, and third one “CFD”.

The “invest” and “ISA” accounts are FSCS protected, just like any other ISA or savings account, falling under investment accounts protection.

The “CFD” one is out of scope for FSCS protection.

Funds are covered regardless of Invest/ISA/CFD account. The combined amount is £85k (rather than £255k)

In all cases it’s essentially Barclays that holds the funds

1 Like

I moved the best part of cash to Trading 212 last week and my gf did the same yesterday.
Every morning you get a notification with how much you’ve just received. And I’m saying to myself “Good, my coffee is covered today” :smile:

1 Like

I posted over in the cards thread, anyone else join the waitlist for the new T212 card?

1 Like

As mentioned previously I have joined. One thing I just realised…does depositing cash in the ISA account to use for the debit card spending use up the subscription limit. Or rather do you top up the card separately to the ISA?

That’s a good point I didn’t consider, maybe it’ll be it’s own section or you might have to deposit into the GIA for the debit card, so you are only holding cash and it’s not taking up ISA limits.

You’d likely have to top-up the GIA account for the debit card. I don’t think the ISA is flexible so you wouldn’t want it to work on that in most cases.

Agreed, topping up the standard account and not ISA for the card would make the most sense

If you update the app and open your “invest” account there is a new button at the bottom which is a debit card. I assume that’s where it will live.

2 Likes

Thanks, just updated the app and now I see it.
Combined with the 5% flexible interest, this card makes a lot of sense. Definitely ordering one.

2 Likes

The 0.5% cashback ain’t bad too.

1 Like