The Verge's Gadgets of the Decade

wow I have 26 - i’d better stop buying gadgets - at least one more required

1 Like

Ach I dunno. I’m at 20 over 10 years, which includes two iPhone versions, and I still use most of them today. Bar iPhone 11 this year, my last gadget purchase was an Alexa about a year ago.

I have 21 from that list :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I think the more pertinent question is, of the number of gadgets you have had on that list, how many do you still have and use? Of my 20 I still use 16 of them regularly.

All except the Amazon Fire TV Stick, so 5 out of 6 for me.

Probably 4

19 still in use

I’ve had 31 of those :joy:

One of my favourites is Google Glass (#100), which I still have.

1 Like

Conversely…

I haven’t owned any of these but came close to the Note7 when it launched. Phew. :boom:

1 Like

Agreed with all of those.

The only one I personally owned was the Macbook, and we sold it after about 6 months - replaced it with an Asus Zenbook that managed to fit 16GB RAM and an i7 chip in the same size frame. The Core M processor in the Macbook was absolute trash, and it struggled to edit 1080p video with a small amount of fx, let alone 4K, which the Zenbook has been able to handle without many problems.

And the Homepod is pretty much a dumpster fire, especially pound-for-pound against the infinitely superior Google Home Max.

1 Like

They went too easy on curved TVs:

Curved TVs looked funny on the wall but basically perform as well as flat TVs.

They performed way worse. Flat TV, you could have a family sitting around the tv watching the full picture, effectively. Curved TV, the person sitting in the sweet spot gets the full picture, and everyone else is fucked. I honestly can’t get over how mindblowingly stupid and selfish curved TVs were. And.Samsung were the absolute worst because they went in for it so much.

As for the rest of that must, there was a time I beastly talked myself into buying a Lytro. Even now I still think the gimmick is pretty cool - but the rest of it never stood up at all.

None! Phew. I was close to the MacBook but held out.

That was one expensive learning curve for Samsung. Always reminds me of one of the great visual puns at the time;

I owned none of the wrorst ones, but I really wanted the Nexus Q when it was announced.

I hate The Verge…

But 29. :no_mouth: