The Next Step: Current Accounts!

@gordonjb not yet! We’re aiming for full feature parity with the prepaid app before we launch the current account fully.

3 Likes

The thing to remember about the current account, is that it’s possible for people to pay you using Faster Payments. With the prepaid card, there was no way other than Monzo.me. Monzo.me is obviously much slicker, but people are used to doing Faster Payments, so it’s unlikely it will prevent you receiving money. On the other hand, lack of CASS will stop a lot of people from switching. So as much as I like Monzo.me, and won’t be using CASS myself, I think it’s the right prioritisation.

2 Likes

Ahh right, I thought that’s what this was.

but should we have to choose??? (yes i want all of my cake to eat!!!)

1 Like

Faster payments are all well and good but some legacy banks still don’t allow you to make faster payments to new accounts without logging on to their website (and using a card reader cough nationwide) - Monzo.me is helpful in these situations, the alternative would be having Monzo as part of the PAYM scheme but I doubt that’s likely in the near future!

I agree, CASS should be a priority over Monzo.me but I don’t want it to be forgotten about!

3 Likes

I’m definitely not arguing against Monzo.me in the future, you’re right that it’s extremely useful. Just that I can see why CASS is prioritised. Also, there have been hints that Paym might be supported.

2 Likes

Looking forward this! Starting to get a little tedious having to top up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, erm, hold on. What’s your account number? And the sort code, what’s that? Hang on whilst I type those into the app interface. What was that account number again? Erm, it’s not liking the sort code! Hang on, almost there. How much did I owe you again? What? Ok. Oops, I accidentally locked the phone. Wait a sec. Touch ID. In. Just fire up the app. What was your account number again? Hang on, I’ll need those other details, too, as I’ve forgotton. Why is it I owe you this money, again?

Yeah, faster Payments is frictionless. What on Earth were they thinking with that Monzo.me nonsense. :neutral_face::wink:

I can see the Monzo.me functionality being aligned to PayM. Select from the contacts. If they are a Monzo user it goes via Monzo.me. If not, it goes via PayM.

15 Likes

I never said Monzo.me was nonsense, I think it’s pretty amazing, and look forward to it coming to the current account. I’m just pointing out that, in contrast with the prepaid card where it was the only way for someone to transfer you money, in the CA people can transfer you money in the ways that they are used to doing with any other bank account. With that context, I can understand why CASS is a bigger priority.

1 Like

I didn’t think you had to be a Monzo user to pay a Monzo user via the monzo.me link?

Edit: Just checked, and you don’t so it wouldn’t need to play with PayM…

You do need to play with PAYM if your friend doesn’t bank with Monzo & you want to transfer to them.

1 Like

Ah, yup… I just assume people just want to give me money :wink:

2 Likes

Apple Pay Cash though

2 Likes

Just wanted to pitch in that I also really value Monzo.me, so I’d also want to see it maintained in the future. I do understand that CASS is more important at this time, but please don’t let Monzo.me fall by the wayside! :pray:

2 Likes

Monzo.me gets a vote from me too!

Monzo.me is awesome!! Agree that CASS is more important initially but Monzo.me needs to come along at some point. It’s so handy for people to pay without transferring bank details, and they can it via Apple Pay!!

Currently, as far as I’m aware, it’s only in the US.

Android users, though. :roll_eyes:

I never said you said that it was n…, oh never mind. :neutral_face:

Not yet, I don’t think. It wasn’t released with iOS 11.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/03/apple-pay-cash-release-date-testing/

1 Like

Totally agree.
Monzo me is fundamental to how we use monzo.
Please please …:pray:

1 Like

Naji also said once that Crown Dependency addresses in Channel Isles and Isle of Man were also OK…is that still true?