The Monzo Weekly Diary 2.0

Hey guys :wave: Sorry this post is so overdue, but let’s kick this diary off again :rocket: Things are quite crazy around here as we gear up to submit our application to lift the restrictions on our banking license :muscle: A few things I’ve been working on over the last week:

• Finalising our ledger service :moneybag: – this part of our core banking system that is the “source of truth” for all transactions. It defines how much money is in each account and records every modification, and is one of the most important pieces of our infrastructure as a bank. In a few months I’d love to share a blog post about how we’ve built this.
  • Working with MasterCard, Faster Payments, Bacs, CHAPS, and lots of the other parties involved in connecting us up to all the UK’s payment networks :electric_plug:
  • RFC’s :writing_hand: – internally in the engineering team, we like to share “Request For Comments” for stuff we’re thinking about building so other engineers can comment on the design before it gets built. Hopefully in a few years these can serve as interesting “pieces of history” showing why we made the decisions we did. Over the weekend I wrote two RFC’s, one about improving how we isolate services from each other on our network, and one about how we can assert the identity of services to each other when they communicate :nerd:
  • Interviewing! :speaking_head: We’re looking to really grow our engineering team this year.
    Maybe you should come and work with us :wink:

Next week, I nominate Stuart. I see he doesn’t yet have an account on the forum, but I’ll make sure he gets one :smile:

20 Likes