The Colour of the Debit Card

(Allie) #270

That’s quite interesting given how many positive reactions I’ve had. Would you be willing to share details of some of these? I’m very curious who’d publicly judge someone’s debit card!

(Leon) #271

It’s mostly homophobic type stuff, to be honest. I’ve already mentioned on this forum somewhere about a very pretty lady looking at my card and making a wrong assumption.

I mean I could not even say anything to her as unfortunately, the card is close enough to be mistaken for pink. Sigh

I did, however, make it clear to her I was (am) a single Pringle ready to mingle. :grin:

(Allie) #272

LOL, well, I’m trans-feminine non-binary. If anyone wants to come up with homophobic stuff, they don’t need a debit card to do so LOL!

And pink? It’s nowhere near pink. I wish it was… neon pink… now there’s a card I’d love!

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #273

Oh dear I don’t think I’d want to even pass the time of day with someone who thought that holding a pink bank card meant the bearer was :rainbow_flag: LGBT+, let alone pringle with them. I’d find it difficult not to just tell them they were a moron, frankly.

(Allie) #274

:slight_smile: definitely! People have such weird ideas…

(Leon) #275

No, in fact, I welcome somebody telling me what they think. At least then I can either say something or not but at least I have the choice. It’s the unsaid that scares me more, to be honest. Did I not mention she was extremely pretty? :+1:

P.S. It’s mingle not Pringle.

I love the hot coral and agree should be kept as part of the brand. Just received my debit card but it’s Not hot coral …neon orange and that’s not the same. :confused: #justsaying

(pdevon88@outlook.com ) #277

Is there any news on a new card colour? I’m afraid when I pull the card out I’m going to blind everyone within a 2 miles radius :rofl::sunglasses:

You know the main corporate identity and marketing image of Monzo is the hot coral card. If you don’t like that then why sign up? I am sure there are plenty of banks with a more staid or bland card who will welcome you with open arms. Of course your Monzo card would be welcome at most opticians if you do have a problem with sensitivity to colours or light.

(Allie) #279

I love the card. It’s a huge selling point for me. And it’s great marketing for Monzo.

Now, not to say I don’t have my wishes. A full neon range, with different psychedelic designs, transparent sections, and unembossed printing (in complementary neon colours of course).

(Leon) #280

Maybe because they wanted to have an account but does not like the card colour. To answer the OP question. There are plans to make a more grown up card but there are no concrete plans to when that will be.

(Tom ) split this topic #281

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Thinner cards: unembossed

The card isn’t “grown up” because it is bright and colourful? Oh well, I guess a bright colourful card can’t do grown up things like pay my mortgage and bills.

P.s. i’m being totally sarcastic. i can understand that different people like different card styles. Back when I had an RBS account they let you design your own card, that was a cool feature. Although I do like the bright card, adds bit of colour to my otherwise bland wallet.

(Jamie Johnson) #284

I honestly don’t understand why people are so troubled by the hot coral colour of the monzo card. It’s a Bank card at the end of the day. If people are so worried about what other people think about the colour of one’s bank card then one should take a look at oneself in the mirror to reflect and move on.

Its a fantastic marketing tool that enables the word of mouth to spread… Easily! If I had a pound for every time someone asked me about my monzo card because of its colour…

Take the opportunity to praise monzo’s merits and help shape the future of monzo by introducing those who are curious as to what it is as opposed to complaining about pathetic, unnecessary concerns. The card’s colour is not what’s childish, or un-grown up, it’s the fretting over the colour of a bank card. If it’s such a problem for you, there’s always Starling.

(Leon) #286

Like all things Marmite, (which the card definitely is) some people love it and some people dislike it with a passion. (I am in the letter category.) I don’t want my card screaming look at me, if I wanted that I have a gob and or fashion sense or lack of, that can do the very same thing.

However I can understand why people like it but it’s for the very same reasons I dislike it. I know what you will come up with. Well why do you have an account with Monzo then?

The current account has promise so I’ll stick with it to see where it goes. If I don’t like it after that I’ll jump ship.

Yes I did and do know that Starling’s card is more “grown up.” Their current account offering however does nothing for me personally.

We all have personal choice, you won’t agree with all my choices in life and I won’t agree with all of yours. Such is life.

In other news Monzo has taken note of people like me (shock horror) and there are plans to make a more grown up card.

(Leon) #287

Money is more emotional then logical as is most things connected to it. Including banking. For example how many people still bank with the same bank that their parents do? Quite a fair bit of the population I would say.

As for fretting over a card, no that’s not quite true either as the definition of the word fret means to be in a constant state of anxiety. I just don’t like it. I have a voice and I intend to use it.

Complaining about unnecessary concerns? Unnecessary to whom? You? So who made you judge and jury?

(If there's the wrong end of a stick, you'll find me holding it.) #288

And some people have no opinion on the matter whatsoever.

(Leon) #289

Colour is another thing that is quite emotional. So I don’t know what to say about that. I see your profile pic is a man with a camera…Interesting.

maybe he just takes black and white (monochrome) :wink:

If the card color is that big of a deal for you, get another contactless card (your legacy bank card for example), heat up the original chip (the tip of a clothes iron works fine) to soften the glue that holds it down and remove it, then do the same to take off your Monzo’s card chip and put it back on the legacy plastic - heat it up a little bit to stick it on again and problem solved. Enjoy your boring legacy-looking card. :joy: