The Colour of the Debit Card

Nah that seems like too much hard work, however you can do it for me while I watch, how’s that? :joy:

I’ve done it for fun on my previous Nationwide card because it was really ugly (and Monzo wasn’t around back then) so I can do it just fine provided you give me the plastic and pay for my time. :joy:

Basically the process was to get any blank chip card (the cheapest you could find, as you don’t care about its original chip), find a place that could print smart cards so you can get the design you want on it and once you got your printed plastic you move the chip over.

1 Like

Hmmmm but if I am there watching you, then I am keeping you company so I expect half my fee back. Lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Like I said it’s not life or death just a little bit of hot coral plastic.

2 Likes

But you’re not the one who’s gonna be burning his fingers with the iron so I’m not gonna cut down my fees, that’s what’s paying for the risk. :joy:

1 Like

I’ll be the one holding the water.

If you do get burnt I’ll be the one in a panic while you take the bowl of water out of my hands and dunk your fingers in.

That has to be worth something right? :+1::sob:

2 Likes

Hi. Sure, people have an emotional reaction to colour. I was merely making the point that between the extremes of love and hate there are some who neither like nor dislike the colour of the Monzo card.

A interesting update of sorts I was sent two debit cards one after the other. One with a white core and another one with a hot coral core. The white core cars is a lot less pink and slightly more orange which is fine by me. :grin: So to cut a long story short, I have a spare hot coral core card.

I understand what you are saying but seen the colour is so different from what the vast majority of banks offer, I imagine most people will either like or dislike the colour.

3 Likes

I think the colour causes conversation sometimes, which I guess is the point of it.

4 Likes

The chip has to have the connections in the same place, of course, or it won’t connect to the antenna - and even then some designs would be much easier to transplant than others…

2 Likes

You can colour me this. I don’t really care about it much eitherway but I do find it interesting. I’m more attracted to the minimalism of the card if anything

Monzo is fantastic - the only nag I have is the card colour. Wish they would consider offering a colour option at some point.
A bit embarrassed whenever I pull it out my Monzo card to pay for coffees during business meetings.
Screems 16 year old teenager pre-paid debit card. Needs a more grown up look, or at least options.

1 Like

you and a few others :slight_smile: one thing I will say nobody, ever , never has commented on the colour of the horse on one of my other bank cards , whereas several have commented on my hot coral card - brand awareness ?

3 Likes

This is off topic :blush: but I’m loving your user title :sunglasses: heaven forbid we not know about your expertise :wink:

4 Likes

The current colour is fantastic for brand awareness but how feasible/desirable will it be to a mass market as Monzo continues to grow?

Love the concept of Monzo, love the innovation and how fast it moves and acts on new ideas.

Although is a neon debit card going to be suitable for everyone? It’s niche.

1 Like

and it glows in fluorescent light - which is something else to look forward to :slight_smile: who would have thought everybody with baseball hats played hockey :slight_smile:

Nope, no bank is suitable for everyone. I love the card though, and for me it was a selling factor. Ultimately, I’d love to see some premium card choices, say, for a £5 fee. E.g. basic hot coral card, free. One of 20 or so exclusive designs? £5.

2 Likes

That’s a 200k niche I believe :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not necessarily. Just something that people aren’t that concerned with. I personally think the hot coral and white text makes it look a bit tacky. I think the text should change to navy to tone it down a bit. My preferred option though woukd be to have a hot coral core card with navy front and back with hot coral text.

2 Likes

For me the design was one of the huge selling points… I love it. I don’t want another boring card!

3 Likes