The British Airways data breach: How Monzo responded

You might have seen the news about a data breach at British Airways.

We’ve already been in touch with all Monzo customers who were affected by the breach at BA, but in the interests of transparency we wanted to share how we responded here too.

18 Likes

Nice. I don’t know if it’s been said but when you activate your new card you’ll need to update the payment information for repeating payments for things like Amazon, Netflix and Spotify.

3 Likes

Having just heard one of my coworkers has spent 20 minutes on the phone to their bank about this - so glad I have Monzo.

This is top notch stuff, and I hope you guys get all of the praise for your proactive responses to incidents like this.

7 Likes

Get them to join Monzo init

4 Likes

I’m so glad I’m with Monzo after reading posts like this. I feel secure & happy :sunglasses:

1 Like

This is a fantastic and very quick response. I do love how you are attempting to keep us protected, but actually it’s the transparency I love the most :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like

Great stuff to read :slight_smile:
Would it not have been possible to reissue cards in the app to allow card not present spend on the new card and allow only card present spend on the compromised card, until the new card arrived?

4 Likes

Interesting implementation that could have helped here?

9 Likes

This is brilliant to read. Huge respect to the Monzo team who responded to this in a very quick and efficient manner to the customers impacted by this. I can’t imagine the anguish and fear going through anybody’s mind right now who have recently booked with BA. Huge respect to the Monzo team for looking out for those impacted, and making them feel secure.

3 Likes

Super cool. Well done guys :pray:

2 Likes

Give them a golden ticket make them feel better

1 Like

Truly excellent customer service; to think that many folks will have woken up to hear the news on the radio/read papers…panickingly checked their phone…only to find that Monzo has already sorted it! :blush: #wegotthis!

Also positive for Monzo themselves as I should imagine that there is some considerable overheads in responding to fraudulent transactions - not only the compensation for affected customers, but also the challenges with trying to recover the monies after the breaches; by taking this approach you’ve also proactively reduced your own exposure too, which can only be a good thing for everyone.

A solid ‘Win-Win’ and surely a great piece of PR to spread the excellent service from being a Monzo customer! :blush:

2 Likes

Looks like it was the same exploit (Magecart) used with Ticketmaster :roll_eyes: Although somewhat altered to target BAs website more specifically.

Wasn’t there an article showing a whole host of websites that have this injected script? It’s literally just 22 lines of code that redirects the information.

1 Like