This is a fairly specific problem but I imagine there will be others that it affects. I can’t think of a way around it. The situation:
- We use Tesco online deliveries for groceries.
- We book slots pretty much as soon as they are released (usually 4 weeks ahead) and add a ‘holding item’ to the order (e.g. a bottle of orange squash).
- Throughout the week the family (me, wife and adult children) add items to the order, all using the one login to the Tesco app.
- Each person ‘checks out’ on the app, to save their items.
- Shopping is paid for through my Monzo joint account card and delivered.
This system has worked well for ages but Tesco have introduced SCA every time anyone adds an item to the order and checks out. So, when my daughter adds some milk to the order, I have to authorise the payment in the Monzo app, otherwise the check out fails. All well and good when we’re together but I was driving the other day and, obviously, couldn’t authorise the payment.
My partner isn’t able to approve the authorisation requests, as the payment is from my card. We could change it so it comes from her card I suppose, but would just have the same problem.
The only way I can think around this is to use a different account that doesn’t ask for authorisation each time. e.g. a Tesco credit card and have this DD from a Monzo pot monthly. I’d like to avoid having another account - does anyone else have any ideas?