Switched from Monzo to a legacy bank (Barclays) 💫

Wow… a pretty brutal start to 2018, eh? :grinning: But all opinions are valid and we are listening.

I think it’s worth remembering our account is less than 6 months old, and migrating customers from one infrastructure to another is an absolutely huge engineering challenge. Frankly it would be amazing if we could focus all of our engineering efforts on user-facing features! Sadly, that’s not how it works, and our unsung heroes really are all of our people working on infrastructure and back-end work that means very little to the average user of the app.

We tend to set very high goals for ourselves internally, and internally we’re very proud of all we achieved in the last quarter - yet judging by this thread, that perhaps doesn’t line up with the sentiment of some customers - likely down to the balance between the things you “see” in the app and the things you don’t see, yet which still require a huge amount of work.

I do perhaps think that expecting us to have the full feature set of a legacy bank at this stage is a little premature. Particularly since, without having launched CASS yet, it’s still quite an effort to switch, meaning that those who switched already would generally be the people who are committed to and believe in our vision of a completely modern and new way of banking, with the understanding that we are still building this out to where we want to be :grinning:

I know it may be frustrating to have to wait for fixes and features. We’d love to build and ship faster, of course! Hiring is moving at a rapid pace at the moment, so we anticipate more hands on deck in all areas to deal with some of these things.

Tom (our CEO) has asked all teams to present their quarterly goals tomorrow, so there may be some more details I can share soon in terms of what we anticipate being able to ship and solve in the next couple of months. I really hope that you don’t feel we’re leaving you in the dark - we do work very hard to let you all know the state of play, but the last couple of weeks of December tend to slow everything down, as is to be expected :grinning:

51 Likes