Switch to enable / disable payments online

Would it be possible to add an online transaction switch, to enable/disable transactions online (similar to what N26 have shown on their site)?

Part of the reason i’m asking for this is, i’ve had 2 attempted transactions happen around midnight the past 2 nights. Both websites based in Italy (i’m assuming they are paypal style sites).

Should note, that first transaction failed due to the value they tried to take (£800+), second transaction failed due to me freezing the card after the first attempt. Obviously freezing the card is a great feature, but I view it as a last resort to the card being lost or skimmed (in my case).

2 Likes

Have you contacted support as they probably have a myriad of tools that might help

1 Like

I haven’t contacted support as the advice (which is probably the correct advice) is to order a new card. But I will do as I would like some more info (if it’s possible)

The reason why I’m asking for the switch is that, whilst the ability to freeze the card is great, it should be seen as a last resort. If this was my only card (and i’ve been in this position with my main bank) I’d have no way to spend cash until my new card arrives (given Monzo don’t have branches and no ability to walk in and ask to withdraw from account with proof of ID)

But I think a middle ground is needed, if you could disable the offending method (in this case, they’re online) and then request a new card without cutting off the ability to spend cash via contacless and magstripe

Hi Richard! You’re right, our usual advice is to order a new card. Beyond that, this is a good idea. Not sure if this is something we can implement yet, but we really appreciate all of your thoughts about how we can improve our security by having features you can toggle on/off.

By the way, let us know any time if you need a replacement card. If you use the in-app chat (Help > scroll down > Chat with us) we’ll sort you out in a jiffy. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Brenda, chatting to support now and they’re also blocking the card from your end :grin:

2 Likes

Excellent news! :raised_hands:

I would have thought you’d be best freezing your card, requesting a new one, and then if you need to use it in the meantime: momentarily unfreeze, make a purchase, and freeze again. The chances of said fraudster attempting a transaction in the ~1min window it takes you to buy your lunch is pretty slim.

Not 100% sure if this is technically possible with the freeze functionality once a new card has been ordered though.

1 Like

There is that. But could be a nuisance, having to keep going in/out of the app to unfreeze/refreeze then what happens if you get distracted.

At least with a switch, you have options :grinning:

As the feature “block gambling transactions” I reckon it should the same for online transactions, simple as it is, a button to activate or block the card to be used online. Most of the people are not aware if the card details are stolen until the card is used and you get a message for suspicious activity. I believe most of us will have this feature off (blocked for online payment) and only unblock it for one-off payments.

As someone who spends more online than in person, I’d always have it “unblocked”, so I could use it online.

With the instant notifications, you rightly pointed out that as soon as you saw a transaction you didn’t recognise, you could freeze it.

FWIW, Starling do offer this functionality, and it’s been discussed before that people would like more control over the security of their card.

I doubt I would turn it on, to be honest. If I was that concerned about fraud is freeze my card by default and defrost it for transactions.

Others may agree with you, and it shouldn’t be too hard to do.

1 Like

Hi All,

Hope you don’t mind but I’ve move your post’s here as the discussion is fairly similar :slight_smile:

I agree some granularity in the security controls would be nice.

Suggested similar idea to someone else also, but if you’re wanting that extra layer of security and want to feel you can easily control money access (few seconds quicker than going into app so not mega time saving, more easy access) but you could put a plus and minus IFTTT button on your home screen to shuffle money out when needed for online?

Agree also that the toggle would be a beneficial feature for a fair number of people :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting idea. Can imagine it might be a bit tricky with retailers like Amazon and eBay, who don’t bill you straightaway when you make the purchase. Amazon - hour or two later, and eBay - I think when it is marked as dispatched. Not too sure how this would work? You’d have to leave it toggled on until payment is made, then toggle it off again. Also card subscriptions, like netflix and itunes might get blocked unless you had it on all the time

Still can see the appeal and interesting that Starling have done something along these lines

1 Like

I do like this but I’d actually rather see a virtual card number or disposable card number for online purchases

2 Likes

Yeah, especially for new or untrusted online sites. Be nice if this worked with LastPass, 1Password or just a chrome extension (synced to your Monzo) - so it would auto-fill your one-time virtual card straight into the payment section. Bit like principles of a password manager for online payments

2 Likes

Sorry, it’s being a while. I’d like to close my idea saying this has been sorted adding 3D authorisation when buying online.