Summary Update: Predicting Committed Spending

Can I turn this feature off? Some of my subscriptions are split with my partner so this wouldn’t be that useful for me.

Now, a way for Summary to take into account pending Amex transactions would be a literal godsend - but this is going to confuse my way of financing.

Hey, we’re going to add the ability to turn off predictions for each merchant and Direct Debit.

Why does splitting these subscriptions with your partner make prediction not work for you? How do they pay their share currently?

Brilliant - I want to exclude MBNA (credit cards), "Jpc Re Ebay’ but include Bulb.

It’ll be nice to have an ‘Allocate monthly average based on last [1/3/6/12] months direct debits’ for things like credit cards (and things like council tax which is taken 11 out of the 12 months for ‘reasons’).

How will this summary work on non-monthly direct debits (I’ve got at least three - DVLA, Press…m and The Brit…iety which are yearly)? Will it have an option to flag as ‘Direct debit taken every months’ so next year when they renew I don’t get shocked?

1 Like

They are but I know £9.99 is my Apple Music and £2.49 is my iCloud… anything other than that is just iTunes stuff so not hard to predict as they never change unless Apple changes the pricing :slight_smile:

Yeah, the plan is to capture a rough sense of schedule, so we don’t assume everything is monthly.

Small typo this para:

Subscriptions

Some services work on a subscription model, this is when you set up a regular payment using your card details. These are tricker for

Should be trickier?

I might be wrong here, it’s just what I’m used to:

Say Netflix take out £10 a month. I split this 50/50 with my partner, so he then sends me £5 into my Monzo account. Under the current/previous system, this would mean that Summary takes £5 (10-5) out of my remaining balance once my partner pays me.

Under the new system, I’m assuming this’ll mean Sumamry will spend the whole month saying I don’t have that extra £5 because it’s thinking I’m spending it on Netflix (which I’m not because that’s my partners share of it).

Ok, it’s only £5 - but this’ll matter more with large DDs such as council tax, utilities, etc.

Are there any plans for an estimate for non-GBP subscriptions?

I have a twitch subscription (which is $5.99 after VAT), so the amount changes every month depending on the exchange rate.

Hey Jami, thanks for the reply.

It’s not so much that I want it to be predicting my wages but currently summary is assuming I have £100 from 1st to 31st but I’m on a weekly cycle so it’s not very useful as it currently works.

I had NowTV in last month’s committed spending but it’s not appeared this month? Is due in the next few days and it’s pretty regular.

I think this will still work for you. You’re right that Summary will think there’s £10 coming out for the month which is not available for you to spend. But this is in fact the case, you will have £10 debited from your account. However, when your partner pays you the £5, it will show up as a credit, so that will add another £5 available for you to spend. It comes out to the same in the end. Maybe a hypothetical transaction list would make more sense:

Amt     Balance  Available to spend
Wages:        £200    £200     £200
Committed:    (£10)   £200     £190
From partner:   £5    £205     £195
Netflix:      -£10    £195     £195

Hmm…I just feel it worked fine (for me) as it was. Netflix comes out right at the end of the month, so Summary will spend the entire month telling me I have £10 less than I do, even though it’ll correct itself when it comes out at the end and my partner pays me. But at least it’s something you can turn off for each transaction (but again, more hassle than under the old system).

Hey, predictions are only turned on for 25% of people right now, we plan to roll out fully next week.

1 Like

Looks like they’re on for me. Even after reading this I nearly had heart failure when I just found a lot of money missing from my ‘left to spend’ figure.

Initial feeling is that, for me, the anticipation is just about spot-on (within the scope of the parameters you’ve described). One of my credit card payments was unnaturally low last month so that looks ‘off’ but you’ve already explained how that works at the moment.

We’ll see how it plays out over time.

1 Like

Netflix etc are in committed so I assume I’m in the 25%? Wasn’t sure if it was worth flagging anything yet though.

The last month’s transactions will have moved to Committed for everyone, but predictions are being rolled out separately. :soon:

1 Like

Sorry for the heart failure - hope you find it useful!

1 Like

Absolutely, this is more or less my own personal use case that you’ve implemented here. This is the way I’ve managed my finances for the last 20 years, most recently using the PocketMoney iPhone app to do it.

I forward post all of my Committed expenses for the month then work off the remaining balance figure. Summary is starting to do exactly that. It looks like I don’t have predictions yet but, for me, that’s only about £13 for the month.

When Joint accounts come out you could move Netflix to that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lol only if he wanted a joint account with me - which he doesn’t :stuck_out_tongue: