Summary - Feedback thread

Looks like this is now in. At least it is for me.

1 Like

I hope this is intentional and not a bug this regular Netflix card transaction showing in my committed spending, things like this makes Summary perfect for me :+1: image

3 Likes

It’s on for me as well. BT, Netflix and Spotify are now showing as Committed Spending. Unfortunately my iTunes subscriptions are not and there is no way to add them manually. Maybe there should be?

2 Likes

I’m wondering if there’s a verification process. As they go out this month they’ll go into committed spend for next month etc?

GiffGaff doesn’t seem to be picked up either. I wonder when we’ll see it predicting these for the pay period and removing them from the left to spend amount.

That’s correct! We’re glad you like it.

We’ve got some more info on this coming soon. (And a little bit here).

Right now we’re manually identifying common recurring card payments that tend to be subscriptions. In future it’d be great if you could toggle ones we don’t spot in (or out) of your committed spending. That’s the next step!

1 Like

I had a Netflix payment go out today, but it’s not showing in my committed spending. Has this been enabled for all users?

1 Like

Hey all,

Looks like part of our upcoming change to Committed Spending went out a little too early!

Our plan is to treat the following payments as Committed Spending, and predict them each month:

• All Direct Debits (excluding PayPal and American Express)
  • Netflix, Spotify, Now TV payments

The longer term plan is to add some control over this, but we wanted to get feedback on a basic set of rules that covers the majority of use cases we see currently on Monzo.

Our plan was to roll this out slowly, but part of it has gone to all users at once.
We’re not predicting future payments yet, we’ve just moved last month’s qualifying payments into Committed Spending.

i’m going to check with our support team now to work out if this is something we need to roll back (for now), so we can roll out more slowly.

In the meantime, let us know what you think (bearing in mind it’s half of an MVP!)

7 Likes

Thanks for the update @Jami. To clarify is this literally only subscriptions to 3 companies that are included - Netflix, Spotify or Now; or are they just examples and it picks up subscriptions to any company?

Hey, We haven’t turned this on yet, we just recategorised transactions from the last month in preparation for turning prediction on. Once we turn this on for everyone, your Netflix payment will show in Committed Spending and we’ll predict it each month to help budget.

Committed Spending is Live (for now) and I love it!

Before I went FullMonzo I had all of my Direct Debits etc in Lloyds - this meant that all the money I had in Monzo was “free to spend”. Then when I moved via CASS I was basically back to where I was with a Lloyds Current Account. I had money in Monzo, but didn’t really know how much I could spend due to DDs coming out mid month.

This is where “Committed Spending” will change everything!

What we know so far:
A) Right now, the items in Committed Spending are past DDs that have already come out
B) We arent seeing any future DDs (so if your iCloud Storage at 79p comes out on the 15th of June, you wont see that yet).
C) If you do the same purchase every day (take the bus at 8:37am each day at £1.50) then Monzo should learn this trend and pop that in “Committed Spending”
D) This will also be the same for that “daily bacon sandwich from Prett”, but hopefully in the future you can decide to remove that from “Committed Spend” as thats not 100% “committed”, unlike the bus to work.

Tom

Just those three for now (they are by far the most popular on Monzo, and we have high confidence that their transactions are subscriptions), we’re currently working on how people can mark other subscriptions as Committed and turn on monthly prediction.

It’ll be interesting to see how MoneyBox DD works out as they’re varying values if you have round up enabled for example. I’ve set it so it’s the same amount every week as I expect it’ll take some time before that hurdle is overcome.

Excited :blush:

I have round up on, and yes its a different amount each week. But I do like you way of just having a “set amount each week” so you know how much.

But then again that takes away from what “Moneybox” is (round up the pennies).

#torn

Hey all,

We just published a blog post explaining some of the Committed Spending changes.
An first basic version of bill prediction is now live to 10% of users, if that goes well we’ll roll it out further whilst we work on in-app controls.

Feedback on the predictions is best in this dedicated thread: Summary Update: Predicting Committed Spending

Cheers! :bow:

4 Likes

A few of my direct debits that have already gone out this month and a Spotify transaction are appearing in the commited spend. I imagine the rest will follow when it’s fully rolled out?

DDs and Spotify will show up as Committed Spending for everyone from now on, it’s just the predictions that are rolling out slowly. We’ll be adding the ability for you to decide which DDs and merchants you want to predict and mark as committed in a future app update.

1 Like

Perfect. Thanks @Jami :raised_hands:t3:

For those of us who split regular bills such as Netflix, is this a factor you’re accounting for to incorporate in future? Monzo.me still hasn’t been fixed to account for bill splitting & its effects on targets, so can you reassure us that this is in the plan…?

1 Like

Still no way to toggle back. This should have been an option.