I’ve reinstalled the app and things since this bug started happening so I don’t think it just needs a refresh or cache cleared.
In an addition, I’ve attached a screenshot of the default summary month that comes up often (not sure if it’s always this one or sometimes others), and this is I think the last month I switched the start day of the month, I used to have a different schedule and changed it to the first, so maybe it’s defaulting to when the month start date was changed, even though that’s old. Though it’s only my personal account I switched start dates, and my joint account also shows July as summery default and not current month.
Device: iPhone X
App Version: 3.32.0 (p.s. should really make the app version copyable in the app, would really help!)