Strong Customer Authentication: Using Chip and PIN more often when making contactless payments

Whilst I understand Monzo has to comply with the relevant legislation, in my experience, the way they have implemented it is quite poor.

Yesterday, I was trying to pay for some drinks with contactless, the transaction wouldn’t go through due to me having reached whatever the limit is, but nowhere on the terminal or in my Monzo app did it explain why it was being declined.

I had no notifications about me approaching the limit or anything.

There must be a better way.

Are Monzo able to create an alert when you’re within £X of reaching your contactless limit, and allow you to enter the pin in the app to reset the limit?

1 Like

No. As already discussed two or three times above. The reset must be part of a card transaction.

What failed here was the terminal. A decent one would have told you to go and use chip and PIN but apparently they don’t all cope with that.

3 Likes

Lloyds used to do this to me occasionally and it would always say “insert chip”

There is. I get a notification warning that I’m approaching Chip and PIN time. Maybe part of some a/b testing?

Same

6 Likes

You can also check limits in settings.

Well, I’ve never had it.

I shouldn’t have to. I’m not going to go rummaging around the app to look for some limits when I’m trying to pay for something. There needs to be a proactive notification. I see some other users have received such a thing, but I haven’t.

I know it might sound silly, but you do have notifications turned on?

1 Like

There’s also feed notifications tho iirc and the reason it was declined

Edit:

3 Likes

Yeah, I do. I get all other types of notifications. Don’t want to be too harsh on Monzo because I do think the new rules are, however well-intentioned, highly flawed. But not receiving any notification about the issue is entirely down to Monzo.

It used to be that it randomly get declined for contactless and be forced to use Chip and pin. The terminal would always state insert card or insert chip. How do you propose this legislation be less flawed?

1 Like

I suggest you delete and reinstall the app as it’s not working as it should

If it happens again after that then definitely contact in app chat

Although maybe the terminal was having an issue doing a contactless transaction and it was nothing to do with SCA

Get rid of the arbitrary limit on contactless payments.

I also don’t get notifications sometimes about actions which appear in the app. It’s like I’m supposed to know to check. More likely, there’s a bug in the way notifications are triggered. Yeah yeah, uninstall, reinstall. Done that. Clear data, reboot etc etc. Sometimes notifications don’t appear - it’s as simple as that. Happened to me yesterday in morrisons. The card got declined and it only ever gets declined for two reasons - either I’ve forgotten to top up my monzo account or this random “enter pin” check, and in the case of the latter the shop’s software usually says “swipe or enter card” if it’s a self service till or the cashier just says “the card’s declined” if it’s a regular manned till. In neither case does it occur to me to “check my phone and see if there’s a notification” and if there isn’t to “maybe i’ll rummage around in an app looking for a clue”. I’m going to enter the card, or just use another form of payment respectively. The random way it’s handled in the shop isn’t monzo’s fault, but the lack of a notification is.

This limit is so damn annoying that I’m going to stop using my Monzo for contactless, it happens so damn often!

Also, why are only some banks doing it? My Santander haven’t, or are they just slow?

It’s also silly considering I have my Monzo on my iPhone and I can contactless away freely on that, no problemo…

Bit frustrated, also the new app design sometimes doesn’t update so I don’t know why it got rejected until later and if you try pull down to refresh like all other apps out there, it hides the card?!

Seems like a bad implementation, and a stupid rule…

Switch tabs rather then try and refresh.

Everyone should be doing it in one form or another.

Every bank has to it’s the law.

While i’m for SCA and asking for the pin every 5 or so times when contactless is used the way that monzo implimented it was messy.

I’ve been lucky to not have problems due to weekly pay at pump petrol and the village shops chip and pin only card machine. (old I know)

Natwest confirmed to me that after 5 transactionsor £100 of contactless they require chip and pin. (asked in branch)

If it bothers you that much always use chip and pin or use apple/google pay.

How else would you implement it then? If you want to claim it’s messy then what’s the tidy alternative? I haven’t managed to come up with a better permitted solution yet (with what I know of the rules) but it sounds like you have?

Was more talking about the notification and stuff not always working.