Status of the Android app vs the iOS app

Please provide a source to verify this claim

Please provide a source to verify this claim

1 Like

There’s a very thorough analysis here:

https://www.the-parallax.com/2016/02/16/parallax-primer-why-are-androids-less-secure-than-iphones/

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply

1 Like

Regarding demographics / affluence of iPhone / Android users, this is a good data-driven analysis:

1 Like

Although it’s interesting to read about, whether that’s true or not, it doesn’t really matter because Monzo have said that they are aiming to reach feature parity for the two platforms. Neither is going to get preferential treatment.

1 Like

That is dross as the data is based on interviewing American consumers not UK ones

But yeah I agree with @alexs’s point. The key thing is that Monzo is taking both equally seriously. Whatever the reasons that they prioritised iOS before, that isn’t the case now - although it will take a while for them to reach parity.

Although tbh, with Windows comprising ~2% of the market, I think Monzo should be seriously looking at either providing a properly featured web client, and/or a “Universal Windows Platform” application.

1 Like

It’s on it’s way :slight_smile:

Although only 2% & dying?

I’m sorry you feel that way about American consumers. Here’s some data for UK consumers that shows the same trend:

This is not market share, it’s website hits? It seems likely that the disparity between sales and hits is likely caused by the average iPhone user actually using their smartphone capabilities more frequently.

1 Like

Interesting survey from 3 years ago but it only polls 1000 people. Having worked in the pharmaceutical industry we would look at trials and if one had say 1000 patients but another 30,000 then we knew we could trust the larger sample but the data from the small sample was less reliable when extrapolating to the population due to the small cohort. I therefore think while this old survey is interesting take a different 1000 people and you could have got widely different results.

1 Like

Exactly. Analysing Android phone sales would be misleading because some people buy phones (particularly the cheaper Android models) & end up not using them. What matters, if you’re trying to work out where the demand from user’s for apps is, which platform is being used the most, right?

Obviously the web browser is on the of most popular apps on the phone & the data is accessible so it’s the most commonly used metric for usage.

This may be true for a commercial but Monzo isn’t a commercial app. It
would benefit from a greater number of users. And to say that iphone users
are the demographic with most disposable income may be a massive
assumption, the top end android phones are just as expensive so I would say
the amount of users with disposable income would be at least the same if
not more for android.

Can you back up your statement that android is less secure? The play store
is a little less critical of apps than the apple app store but I’ve never
seen anything that indicates the operating system is inherently less secure

1 Like

Err… I hope Monzo’s investors were told about this change in direction! :wink:

Regarding your questions, did you read the several links I posted backing up my statements?

In my eyes the best thing about iOS is the small number of different versions of the operating system. Where as Android has a slow adoption rate. I would assume this makes iOS easier to develop on.

The sources for the above statement are my head, before anyone asks for them.

2 Likes

I thought so too but apparently that’s not a major issue for Monzo -

1 Like

The service is obviously commercial but the app itself isn’t, ie you don’t
have to pay for the app.

I hadn’t noticed the links as I was notified by email. Will look now.

However, I guess while membership numbers are limited I can see your point,
they might want fewer higher quality customers. But when the service
inevitably is fully open it makes no sense. You’d want as many people as
possible to be using the service and the greater numbers would easily make
up for any demographic differences either real or perceived.

The security issue appears to be either people not patching or resellers
not creating patches quickly enough. There is no particular reason android
can’t be at least as secure as iOS with the right apps and keeping updated
which is mostly down to users. I can see why iOS could be perceived as
being more secure and possibly might be for many users who are careless.

Careless users whose resellers aren’t providing security patches?