Starling Feedback

I get that, and I appreciate that to many people, the ease of use outweighs the potential extra benefits of other cards.

But whilst the coin jar is great…it’s not actually giving you anything extra.

The analytics are great… but it doesn’t give you anything back…

You’ve saved money by being conscientious of what you are doing with it. Granted, the app helps, but you are still actively interacting with it.

If people took that approach and used it in conjunction with a rewards card… they’d benefit greatly.

2 Likes

Agreed. Sadly it really seems that people (including myself!) nowadays can’t [do thing] anymore, unless they have an app/gadget that tells them how to [do thing].

1 Like

true it seems like unless an app does x y or z for me I cant do it myself, both Starling and Monzo are starting to address this to what ever extent that you want to use it for i.e. Market place, targets, goals, pots.

For me both of these challenger banks are starting to give me the ability to have control of one of the most important aspects to my life - peace of mind over my finances , more control and understanding of what I spend , where I spend and how often I spend it - previously Ive been on holiday with Lloyds - spent and waited for the monthly account statement to see how much my holiday cost - same with my Halifax Clarity card, before Monzo (for me personally) and Starling, banks had little incentive to let people have an insight into their spending habits.
Now I know my income for the year, I know my expenditure for the year with the touch of a couple of buttons, I know how much I spend at the pub, on fuel, on eating out and can adjust any / most if I need to because Im going over my budget - good result for my financial control in my life :slight_smile:

There is enough space for both these banks to succeed and prosper whilst helping their customers like no other bank previously

20 Likes

Someone should post this somewhere prominent. I know it can be fun to have a gentle poke at “the other challenger bank”, but this is the real picture.

I’d be as happy seeing this on the Starling forum as here. Well said, Ian. :grinning:

7 Likes

Yep definitely. It’s a shame some people want the exact same features from both products where as in reality both products should coexist and serve a slightly different market; it’s also good to have alternatives in case someone had a bad experience with either of them (and so trust has been broken) and needs another good fintech alternative.

13 Likes

Have just been doing some work on my accounts, and this has highlighted to me a key reason I’m not as keen on Starling. It’s easy to quote the ‘features’ that Starling has that Monzo doesn’t, but for my day-to-day spending and banking they’re not relevant (not that something like European payments couldn’t be useful at some point, but this is something I’ve only done once in my whole life). But I find the Starling app not well thought through in terms of the workflow, and it is a huge hassle for certain actions. In particular, today:

1. For every statement I want to download, I have to enter my password. Then, I get another screen I have to tap, then I have to tap a confirmation, and only then do I get the share sheet to export the statement. That’s three screens, one requiring a password. Very tedious.
  2. Compounding this, I can only download statements one month at a time.
  3. There’s no way to export a CSV file of all my transactions or even a date range. Again, one month at a time, requiring a password and three taps to get to the export box each time. :confounded:
  4. There’s no search function! Can this really be true?? Maybe I’m missing something?

When I compare this with the experience with Monzo, it’s crazy. Two taps and I had a CSV export of all my transactions. I can search my transaction feed. And while it’s irritating that statements have to be exported one month at a time on Monzo, at least that is a one tap action with no password. Far, far smoother. This is the problem I have with Starling. I don’t feel their app is very well thought through, and for managing finances it’s not very functional.

4 Likes

Having just had to download my statements for the last year, I couldn’t agree with you more!

The only change I would make to the monzo flow is to name the statements correctly.

3 Likes

Agreed, Monzo’s statement naming is nonsensical! To bring it back to Starling, also agree with your comment in the other thread that Starling almost gets this right, but should use a date format that sorts properly (e.g. StarlingStatement_2018-03).

1 Like

For physical purchases whilst away on business, I prefer Monzo. Makes tracking expenses and storing receipts easier (I have a lot of it automated using the API).

3 Likes

A bit on the random side but saw this on Amazon regarding Starling

2 Likes

Now Monzo has Overdrafts, I’ve just put in a CASS request with Monzo to close my Starling account :scream:

I’m not a fan of the UI on Starling and the roadmap has had some some items on ‘next’ for almost 12 months…

Agreed, I think the spend today screen is a bit pointless as it doesn’t provide much infomation if you only use your card say once or twice a day.

I have to add it’s nice to see their Trello board, I didn’t know they used this. They seem to use it a lot from all the items on there.

5 Likes

Agreed. Does anyone know how many users starling has now?

Yes

1 Like

:joy: care to divulge!?

1 Like

By “Yes” I mean, yes somebody does know :rofl:

Anne Boden

13 Likes

Don’t give up the day job Richard!

2 Likes

More likely MC than AB.

1 Like

It’s almost like Starling are really trying to rub salt in the wounds :joy:

They’ve just announced that you can now use their “Settle Up” feature (similar to monzo.me) with Apple Pay!

It means friends/family/people who owe you, don’t need to put their card details in when sending you money! Pretty great feature.

4 Likes

I think Monzo have had this from the beginning of Monzo.me, so not it’s an issue. If anything, I’m surprised Starling didn’t launch “Settle Up” with Apple Pay support, I assumed they had.

2 Likes