Starling Feedback

Out of interest why did you personally shut yours

1 Like

Probably a repeat comment ā€¦ but their in app - Apple Pay card add to wallet functionality is awesome !! So simple! Definitely a must for monzo over the scan a card old school process

3 Likes

This would be so easy to implement I would be very surprised if Monzo didnā€™t support it.

I wasnā€™t using it. As simple as that ultimately.

2 Likes

My feedback on Starlingā€¦ I tried to open an account, and got a text saying they couldnā€™t verify my identity. Then the app updated to say the same. No hints about what to do next. I reinstalled the app and itā€™s still the same. Even the ā€˜Helpful Tipsā€™ it refers to simply tell me my identify couldnā€™t be verified, perhaps because Iā€™d moved, and no way to contact them.

(If Iā€™d known Iā€™d get alpha current account access two weeks later, I wouldnā€™t have bothered)

1 Like

First big negative, beyond UI, using Starling tonight:

Was making my first bank transfer - ironically to my new Monzo current account :smirk: because my legacy bank doesnā€™t allow me to create new payees on the go :roll_eyes: - after using Touch ID to get into the app, it still required a password to make the payment.

After a couple of beers at Monzo HQ, and having become Touch ID dependent, I had no idea what my password was and had to reset my account :triumph:

Felt like an unnecessary step considering Iā€™d already used Touch ID to log in :thinking:

3 Likes

You canā€™t blame Starling for you forgetting your password :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Of course not! But I can say Iā€™d rather they had Touch ID for making payments like Monzo does!

Even my legacy banking app doesnā€™t require passwords once Touch ID has been used to enter the app.

4 Likes

Does your legacy bank current account really allow you to setup a new payee and pay them from your phone just protected by touch id? Iā€™m amazed, most I have used donā€™t even allow you to create a payee on the phone.

Starling only ask for the password when you setup a new payee - after that you can make payments to them without further auth - relies on the touch id you used to open the app. Seems sensible to me. Even Apple make you use a second identification method (as well as touch id) at times, e.g. when a device is rebooted.

@Toblerone Does the Monzo current account let you setup a new payee and pay them straight from the phone only using touch id then?

4 Likes

I just tested this in the current account app, setting up a standing order for my rent payment. It makes you Touch ID verify (with the account details/amount/dates shown on the pop up) to confirm it.

2 Likes

Yes the authentication system is my biggest issue with Starling. Not only do they have a password (and donā€™t have 1Password integration), they also have Touch ID and donā€™t allow you to disable it. There is a toggle in the settings but it doesnā€™t seem to work and according to them itā€™s not a bug - if you enable Touch ID they you get IDā€™d every time you open the app, if you disable it you only get it occasionally but thereā€™s no way to disable it completely.

5 Likes

This is one of my biggest concerns about Monzoā€™s current position, the API (which was initially the big draw) has been kicked into the long grass. With the likes of Starling having done the grunt of the work on current accounts itā€™s easier for them to set their sights on bigger and better integration.

Monzo needs to offer a different card design. As people have already pointed out, the current design is a bit childish and wonā€™t appeal to a wide range of people, especially men over a certain age. Starlingā€™s card design is a lot more classy and mature, less embarrassing to get out in a restaurant! Saying that though, Iā€™ve been with Monzo since the beginning and though I have taken a keen interest in the other fintech startups like Starling and Fidor, Iā€™m happy with Monzo and its openness.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: The Colour of the Debit Card

Which has now been closed :neutral_face:

1 Like

Arenā€™t you trying to get it re-opened now though?

I was asking for their protocol for it, and more importantly why I received the error that I did when entering my mobile number. They donā€™t have the facilities to allow me to open an account again which is fine, just couldnā€™t find any information anywhere regarding that.

I see - fair enough I guess!

Although Android has several features that iOS doesnā€™t have

TouchID was to log into the App. Any Payments are authenticated with the account password. Seems sensible to me; although I do agree that if TouchID and or a password was mandatory to get into the app then the use of a password for a payment is extreme

1 Like