Starling Feedback

I pay no attention to titles if there or not, if it needs filled I do, if not I don’t. They don’t mean anything to me. Define older generation? :wink:

Interesting question.

Previously, various legacy banks have told me:

• We have to put your title on the card for security reasons
  • We can only put your initial, not your first name, on the card for security reasons
  • We have to put your full name on the card for security reasons

:thinking:

Different banks. Different bonkers policies. No consistency and no explanation of security reasons

3 Likes

This impression might be due to when you signed up to Monzo (I obviously don’t know when this was, just thinking that it might have been the second half of this year). Last year and the beginning of this year, there were frequent improvements to the Prepaid app and service, and the pace of development seemed fast. For most of this time, Starling hadn’t released anything publicly, so there was no Starling app to use.

As the focus has shifted to developing and launching the current account after getting their banking licence, Monzo’s development of the prepaid service definitely slowed significantly. In a similar time-frame, Starling launched their app and have been adding/changing features. As someone else said, this is not a criticism of either company, just different approaches.

But in terms of your impression that the prepaid card was ‘static’, I can definitely say it didn’t feel that way earlier on in its life! And I look forward to the pace of change and features picking up again once the CA migration is substantially underway/nears completion. :wink:

3 Likes

It’s security theatre, which is something people tend to love (look how many people want to have a PIN on the app, despite the face that if someone got into your phone it’s game over anyway.

Unfortunately, this particular little piece of useless security theatre (authentication by presumption of gender) tends to hurt those of us who are trans/non-binary/genderqueer…

5 Likes

20 posts were merged into an existing topic: FATCA Compliance?

they will spout any old crap to justify their systems :wink:

4 Likes

There needs to be greater awareness and empathy from organisations on this subject.

To have a brand new challenger Bank start up without consideration to this is disappointing and not forward-thinking.

3 Likes

Totally agree. And it ‘feels’ discriminatory whatever their justification when it clear to us there is no real need for it.

3 Likes

Exactly, Starling leaves a really bad taste in my mouth on several levels (I’m a US citizen and trans…). To have a ‘challenger’ bank basically say ‘we have no place for people like you’ is… disappointing.

Monzo, however, couldn’t be handling things better (they actually know how to report to the US government, heck maybe one day they’ll let me start a crowdfunding campaign for the renunciation fees :smiley: I’ll need it for gender transition anyway… don’t want to handle that nightmare as a US citizen in the current environment). And they recognise that gender is irrelevant to banking.

7 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Cleanup1

I had exactly the same issue with Starling, and at that point you can’t even contact support via that “chat”.
So I just didn’t bother with it and uninstalled it.

2 Likes

Whilst Monzo had a prepaid card, Starling released their current account. Starling’s Account was sub par at best, it lacked some of the very basic features. It seems to me they rushed it out to gain some traction and then intended to update it on the hoof. Maybe that’s the way things are done now, but it was poor, and even now features that should have been in st the start are just being added now.

I got the impression that Monzo put their prepaid app out which was quite good then left it to start thinking about their current account.

I look forward to my card arriving and me being able to start giving it a proper go.

3 Likes

Yeah as soon as I can top up my monzo CA with a debit card, I’ll xfer the remaining balance off my starling account.

Exactly this! Prior to this year, when quite early on, focus shifted to building our new systems, we shipped feature updates pretty quickly. Early adopter folks will remember :slight_smile:

With Android Pay, NFC Card activation both launched and Pots coming VERY soon I think it’s fair to say we are returning to that pace, and actually faster since we have way more devs than we used to!

8 Likes

I seriously cannot imagine us operating any other way. Our staff represent most - if not all - people of the LGBTQ community so the idea of us being exclusionary in any way… I mean, it just wouldn’t happen! :rainbow: I couldn’t be more proud of our company culture in that (and many other) respects. It’s quite disheartening when you hear that may not be the case with other companies - from what I’ve read here.

14 Likes

Simon, I can’t say how impressed I am so far with Monzo… But just thank you for your words of support for us in the LGBT+ community!

3 Likes

Positive support experience with Starling - had to go to the web chat cos I couldn’t get into the app. It turns out my last iphone was on the account three times, so when I tried to add the new one it complained. Quite why the same iphone was registered three times is a little puzzling, but the support chap had it sorted pronto, and a re-install of the app allowed me to re-verify.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Great to hear :grinning:

5 Likes

Starling is best known for its mobile banking app, which has tens of thousands of users.

TCB :eyes:

6 Likes