Starling Discussion & Feedback

Or maybe Monzo saw that users don’t use the additional search features often :man_shrugging:

Either way, unfortunately the team’s time is finite which is presumably the reason why a more limited version was rolled out. I wouldn’t take it so personally.

Edit - to add quote :point_down:

1 Like

I’m not taking it personally, I’m just frustrated that one of the key features, probably the main reason I switched from my traditional bank to Monzo, is missing from the Android app.

If someone could explain how a feature like Pulse is more important than a highly efficient way of retrieving transactions, then I’d love to understand it better.

This isn’t a small detail, a nice to have, it’s pretty fundamental to the product. Again, staggered that someone decided that Android users wouldn’t need this. Perhaps long terms users who have never known Monzo ios know no better, buy speaking as someone who has switched, I can tell you it’s a huge let down. Fixing this must be on the road map, surely?

1 Like

I would disagree with that. I’ve had monzo since last July, and yet to have any reason at all to search transactions.

I would put this last on my list of things I’d like to see worked on.

I would also assume metric of people who have interacted with the current search feature show fairly low usage.

3 Likes

Good grief, Jolin, where did that come from?

There’s no mention of battle and you’re right, of course, there’s probably considerable overlap in customer base.

But are the banks competing? Surely yes, inasmuch as they both want new customers and ultimately those customers will plump for one or the other as a main account.

And the handshake? It was great as we both saw the novelty in acknowledging how neat instant notifications are. When will legacy bank customers ever have that conversation? :smirk:

5 Likes

Coincidentally, I’ve had bank accounts for decades, and for the first time ever, I wished the Nationwide app had a search function just last week.

They actually do have it, at least on iOS.
And that was last November, when I switched.

:roll_eyes:

I appear to have misremembered. I couldn’t find the transaction I was looking for because I didn’t know the name of the organisation. Would’ve been easier on Monzo as I’d only need to look within the category.

You don’t need a function until you do…

Android app was always way behind and generally terrible BUT… it’s got much nicer recently so it’s going the right way!

3 Likes

They seem to be doing a pretty good job of copying one another so far.

Goals became Pots.
monzo.me became SettleUp.

2 Likes

It does. On iOS.

Perhaps as Tom and Anne worked together these ideas come from the same place and ended up a who got there first?

3 Likes

I disagree.

Android app was always way behind but generally amazing HOWEVER … it’s got much worse recently and it’s going the wrong way :frowning:

Ending hamburger menu.
Adding bottom menu bar.
Adding graph to the transaction page.

2 Likes

Maybe I misunderstood the original post, it was the references to “the other side” and :north_korea: & :us: that sounded like a sense of two sides fighting it out to me. I can totally understand the camaraderie of finding someone else who can see the promise of this new wave of banking. I think that’s why I’d don’t see Monzo and Starling as “fighting” each other. Anyone using either has seen the possibility of a new way of banking and lots more potential for it to develop.

5 Likes

Absolutely right Jolin. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Oh, and the NK / USA reference was to them talking not battling :slightly_smiling_face:)

2 Likes
  1. +1 to Monzo with “coin jar”- love this feature
  2. +1 to Starling for giving us interest on savings

Now all I need is some sort of Yolt/Emma-like capability and a means of taking DDs and SOs directly from goals.

-oh, and the icing on the cake would be the feature I had with some banks while in the US. Scanning cheques. I could pay a cheque into my account by scanning it rather than taking a trip into the branch.

5 Likes

I believe this is a work in progress. Was mentioned in another thread yesterday.

5 Likes

Wow! Excellent!

Oh yes, another one- additional cards that I can allocate to specific pots. I can then give one to my daughter for pocket money and my partner for additional expenses.

1 Like

I’d like this but with cash

5 Likes

I envisage some form of Star Trek transporter which warps the cash into your account. Surely with all these fintech startups someone’s invented that right?

1 Like

yer, tech to scan the note and read the banknote serial number and then you shred it :wink:

2 Likes