Pots on Android slightly delayed 🍯

I totally see where you’re coming from, and I agree - it’s frustrating that features are not released on both platforms at the same time. Ideally, there’d absolute feature parity and everything would be released at the same time.

The team currently working on Pots is made of 1 iOS dev and 1 Android dev (+ backend). Unfortunately, it’s not a case of focusing efforts on one platform instead of another as the two developers are not interchangeable and, in most cases, features are not necessarily comparable across platforms in terms of effort required. For instance, there might be components that have been built differently and therefore require a different approach (and potentially more time to deploy).

In the case of pots, the implementation required both platforms to upgrade the current “Accounts” tab from what used to be the “Cards” tab. Luckily for us, this had already been done by another team on iOS but it wasn’t necessary for Android at the time. This resulted in our team taking on additional work to make Pots function as designed which slowed us down significantly compared to iOS. This was highlighted in our Pots retrospective and the team took an action to carefully scope projects and decouple them from any dependencies going forward!

Here is a screenshot of our retrospective tool.

We are working very hard to bring new features on both platforms at the same time, but at the moment we are a very small team and we are sadly constrained on several fronts. We have already made significant progress in our efforts to achieve this goal, and we’re confident that in the future we’ll be able to continue to close that gap until it no longer exists.

On a personal note, I’m an Android user myself (and so are @tristan and @JordanFish) and I can promise you that none of us favour iOS in any way. We’ll definitely reach feature parity one day! :muscle:

30 Likes