Starling Discussion & Feedback

Although I am a total fanboy even I would draw the line at Monzo arbitrarily withdrawing £100 from my account , but its a great example of “the cult” and Im sure there would be exactly zero customers that would applaud it

2 Likes

if you had bothered to read where the numbers context had originated from it was a continuing response about a poster not seeing any bad complaints about Starling anywhere, which I then pointed to trust pilot as an example of bad reviews, then someone saying percentage wise Monzo had more negative views on trust pilot , which really has no relevance as it could be a percentage of 100 comments, or 10,000, or a million , when it would have a relevance , at which point I said Monzo had more customers and you would therefore expect more complaints.

I never said Monzo having more customers was “better” as you seem to suggest I did

You managed to turn it into your usual negativity about Monzo, which is laudable for your consistency , its almost like you have an inbuilt complaint / grudge switch in every one of your posts regarding Monzo.

Still people , if they are interested can read the thread and your posting history and take their own view :man_shrugging:

jees - desperate times indeed

2 Likes

A couple of years ago I had Starling, Monzo, and Nationwide (just for the insurances for a fee).

I’m nos thinking of switching to Starling. I’m a little nervous after recent reports show Monzo struggling as a company. I also don’t think the innovation is there at the moment.

Wondering what people’s thoughts are? Anyone in the same position? Anyone feel there is a big feature they would miss if they left Monzo?

Not from my point of view. I prefer the Monzo app to the Starling one, but Starling has more basic banking features, it seems.

The in app (and out of app) help seems to be better designed, work better, and be more helpful, as well.

4 Likes

I think Starling have got a lot of things right , they have certainly had a better eye on how to produce a path to profitability, more so than Monzo , although as Ive said before I think Monzo have been hit by circumstance and timing. Starling have taken opportunities that should have been taken by Monzo but weren’t ( RBS remedies funding , bounce back loans, govt contracts , maybe thats who you know in the banking world ?? or the eye off the ball at Monzo ) You should use whatever bank suits your need , for me personally I dont like the Starling app , I have got used to how the Monzo app works, it does all I want it to do. Starling do seem to have better features on the surface, hopefully Monzo will catch up.

7 Likes

Here are mine (still the same);

6 Likes

Childish sniggering :rofl:

2 Likes

freudian slip :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think this is a little bit of an excuse to be honest. It’s easy to say Covid this, circumstance that, but there are a lot of businesses out there that aren’t struggling because of these things. Clearly Tom and Co. are capable of building very successful businesses, you just have to look at Gocardless. The big difference being that there was a need for it and no one one else has been able to rival it (not through lack of trying either). I’m not saying there isn’t a need for Monzo but there is a lot of competition in the market for the various aspects of Monzo’s offering.

On the same point I don’t think it’s fair to say

Anne has been around for many years (sorry Anne :D) and so I am sure there are plenty of people she can call in the banking industry but relationships and experience are critical to building successful business.

I know this’ll be unpopular but personally I think the recent reports have hit the nail on the head… Monzo have a great ethos “making money work” but they don’t seem to be able to find a way to make it profitable, and businesses need to be profitable

Starling clearly make their money from all the non consumer things that they do which allows them IMO to play with consumer banking.

5 Likes

I would miss my Standing Orders being executed on the first of the month, regardless of whether it was a weekend or not. Something neither Nationwide or Santander did for me.

That ensured that the funds were in the respective banks on time for other perks associated with those accounts, e.g. regular savers. Delay til the Monday could sometimes cause issues.

I have a Starling account, however, it is one Monzo feeds, not other way around, so never tested it with weekend SOs. It may provide that feature for me.

1 Like

I don’t see why it needed to be flagged - it’s a fair and valid opinion.

3 Likes

We’re not back in 2017, people.

Let’s discuss Starling without sneering at fictional perceptions of other forum members please. It cheap and it’s wrong (as in inaccurate rather than bad although I guess both meanings fit). If coping with people of different opinions is hard, don’t post anything and then no-one can disagree with you.

If we can’t manage that then this will go the way of all the 2017 Starling vs, Monzo threads and be closed.

2 Likes

Perhaps it’s a bit of an exaggeration but @TTJJ makes a valid point. We use exaggeration all the time to make general points otherwise we get accused of nitpicking and Monzo hating.

A real example would be, how many banks charge consumers to deposit money? Sorry but IMO there is no valid defence for it except you can’t afford to provide it as a service

11 Likes

I haven’t seen that in this thread.

There are people who will defend Monzo no matter what.

There are people who have expressed a desire to donate to Monzo, and some who have said that they took Monzo Plus to support the company.

There’s nothing wrong with any of that, but there’s also nothing wrong in pointing it out, or in being critical of it.

As for sneering; that, it seems to me, is reading tone in a written message. We know where that can lead.

9 Likes

Ok, on topic please folk.

This is getting ridiculous… there is legitimate discussion going on here and things are being flagged for what appears to be nothing more than people disagree.

Seriously flagging a comment about bank charges… I can make it more specific.

• Monzo charge for depositing cash and Starling don’t
  • Starling have a frictionless deposit process via the Post Office
  • Starling don’t require you to have to explain to the guy at the newsagents what you’re trying to do.
  • There’s no risk of the post office refusing to deposit your money

16 Likes

I’m going to lock this thread now for a bit.

This thread is about Starling but it’s gone wildly off-topic.

If you want to discuss the Coral Crew generally, there’s a thread for that.

If you are upset at flags, then there’s no ban on generally discussing the concept - but not in this thread.

If you have a specific issue with another member, please take it up privately. @AlanDoe and @cookywook can be used to escalate.

I’ll reopen the topic later, but we really do need to focus on Starling discussion, rather than discussion about the Starling discussion thread. That’s a bit too meta, even for me.

4 Likes

On a personal level I dont like how Starling and it’s staff handles situations, the situations mentioned above with Anne’s letter and the N26 withdrawal are perfect examples of that.

Alongside that, Starling would have to do 3 other things to even begin to tempt me to move:

1. Bills Pots
  2. IFTTT
  3. New UI (I really dislike Starlings ui)

But thats just me :slight_smile:

3 Likes