Spending lock

Am Idea I had after going out last night and using my contactless payment solely to buy drinks at the bar. A spending lock. You decide how much you want spend eg £100 put a lock on that value then you can spend for a set period of time but not go over your entertainment budget (because we’ve all done that and realised the morning after the night before!) if you need to remove the lock you have do so by entering your pin in the app. Monzo could even give you a running low notification so you can save £20 to get a taxi home.

Good idea.

In the meantime - just take cash out with you and leave your card at home. It’s the best lock you’ll ever have!

1 Like

I can’t be trusted with cash! I lose that, but some how always keep hold of my phone :woman_shrugging:

You could remove funds from your account into a pot, leaving only what you want to spend in your account.

But do you want to be that person who orders a round of drinks, only to discover that they lack the means to pay?

4 Likes

Take cash or have self control.

This is not something Monzo should be spending manpower developing!

3 Likes

Wow monzorob. I thought this was a community to share ideas…

11 Likes

It’s a good idea also for people with compulsive spending issues but at the moment putting everything apart from £100 in a pot is the only solution

I’m not sure they would consider a time lock as they had this with locked pots and removed it due to the amount of people contacting support to get it removed. Possibly a category limit eg only can spend x amount with retailers who sell alcohol

1 Like

Like a budget for the day :slight_smile: sounds like a good idea to me. When you’re close to the end of the budget you get an alert saying You are close to the end of your budget… £20 left!

1 Like

Evidenced by the fact that their not the only one to have suggested it.

1 Like

That’s a neat suggestion. Although I know I’d set the budget at £10,000 :smiley:

1 Like

haha I don’t have that much but it’s also good on holiday so you don’t spend all your cash on holiday.

Buying a bottle of water at the airport would probably breach most people’s daily limit :joy:

1 Like

haha :smiley: First thing I do on holiday is get to the camp site well caravan site, then I go to the shops and buy loads of food.

Another option could be a budget for food / taxi / drinks.

1 Like

It is, but it works both ways, it isn’t an echo chamber :slight_smile:

I agree.

For me this is a little like the gambling block and could do a lot of good.

Or you have a pre–pay card, such as a Monese or Revolut account, and transfer your spending money beforehand. You could tag the transfer in Monzo, so it still contributes to your monthly budget.

A workaround until Monzo develops something?

3 Likes

Agreed. It’s a useless feature to me and I don’t get why others can’t exercise a small amount of self control, instead of asking Monzo to treat them like children.

I guess most people can, the request was just for a bit of help.

I don’t “get” why people need their bank to provide a budgeting facility, but plenty of people derive benefit from it. Monzo is full of things I have no need of, but I’m content that those things are available to others.

4 Likes

Unfortunately this method doesn’t work for people with overdrafts.

I think paying directly from pot could work though.

1 Like

I think the idea suggested earlier as part of this thread would be good, a temporary limit by category, that way if you need money for the taxi or train etc you can still pay.

It does still leave the risk of ordering a round of drinks and not being able to pay, it’s not like they can put them back.

There is also the fact that if you’ve got your phone then what is to stop you overriding or removing when you’ve had a few too many “lemon” sherbets