Spain (Barcelona & Ibiza) - Contactless, Monzo & Apple Pay

So I’ve recently come back from a trip to Barcelona and Ibiza; both equally amazing…!

Being a tech, Monzo & Apple enthusiast, I of course put Apple Pay & Monzo to the full test like in every country and thought I’d write up about my experience. Good & Bad!

Barcelona

Contactless is available everywhere no question… everywhere that contactless is available, Apple Pay & Google Pay seems to be accepted above £30 - no silly artificial £30 limit like the UK. Just works. Most stores / restaurants seem to use Sabadell as their terminal provider and I didn’t come across anywhere with a ‘minimum spend’.

I did experience an issue in 2 different Mcdonalds branches; where using Monzo via card or Apple Pay would crash the Self Checkout / terminal when select local currency. Previously wrote about here - https://community.monzo.com/t/spain-mastercard-contactless-eur-conversion/39217
However using a different card / provider (Visa); worked fine.

I didn’t need to get cash out at all in Barcelona - (other then the ridiculous cash only city [scam] tax), this meant I could keep track of spending via Monzo app.

Taxi’s; all Taxi drivers seemed to accept card without issue. Although, 1 driver huffed at the concept of having to get his card machine out and charged a lovely additional fee for the privilege of doing so.
On the whole, taxi’s we’re dirt cheap and could be relied upon for the most part (compared with our Black Cabs).

Ibiza

This was a different kettle of fish; whilst like Barcelona contactless was accepted everywhere from small cafe’s to fast food and high end restaurants. Most places had a minimum spend via card; making ATM’s at times vital.

Taxi’s in particular we’re sometimes more challenging then Barcelona; as found not all accepted card payments and it was difficult to check this. This resulted in the constant need for cash.

On the subject of ATM’s. There we’re 2 forms of ATM’s; those provided at Bank’s where no fee is charged and withdrawals can be made in local currency.
Then those which have ‘tourist trap’ written all over them; where you are charged a fee for use & a poor exchange rate - with often difficulty to select local currency.

I did however notice that almost all of their ATM’s we’re contactless. Tap, enter pin and then tap again upon cash withdrawal for authorisation. Some even advertising Apple & Google Pay.
I’d be interested to understand how this works via Apple/Google Pay; due to the individual specific device account number used to protect the identity/not transfer card details to the NFC receiver - I would have assumed this difficult to attribute to a customer.

Due to the higher need of cash; I was therefore withdrawing lots throughout Ibiza. Under the impression that I’d be notified upon going over this limit, I was not concerned - as would switch to my secondary Starling account.
WRONG, unfortunately the notifications which should be issued upon fees being charged seem to be broken. Multiple cash withdrawals, different ATM’s. None featuring the ‘this includes a 3% fee’ in notification. I’ve raised with support, however would be interested if others have had this issue?

Relating to card terminal’s & DCC conversion. I found in some locations this to be a little hit and miss. In 1 location; a curry restaurant I was advised ‘our other card reader is broken… this one doesn’t give the option for local currency’. Very convenient. I made clear to the waitress that this is against MasterCard’s terms of service & I will be raising. Of course the receipt that followed was ‘I accept that I received the choice of currencies…” etc. Nice money maker for the inter bank & restaurant. Another, was that of a Taxi driver or persisted to say… local currency doesn’t work, ‘I’ll try…look, look failed’.

Long & short; Ibiza is a little flakey when It comes to card. Whilst the infrastructure, like Barcelona is there. The training and or/dodgy money making element is also present.

Quick Summary -

ATM’s - Contactless support; some supporting Apple / Google Pay

How does Apple / Google Pay work from a technical point of view?

IMG_3917

Why is the UK so far behind on this?; Barclays is trialing in a very limited form at present.

Monzo Withdrawal limit -

Have others experienced not receiving notification regarding cash withdrawal fee’s? Below example -

https://monzo.com/blog/2018/01/04/atm-fees-january/

IMG_4107

DCC Currency Conversion - inability to select local currency

How do we stamp out this shady practise; other then reporting to our banks & Mastercard, leaving poor reviews etc?
Have others refused to pay and walk out?

IMG_4035

8 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: :es: Monzo in Spain [Discussion]