Some vendors declining to accept Monzo

Was just about to post the same thing, cheers @crablab :+1:t2:

But can’t a retailer refuse to serve you anyway?

1 Like

Yes. But they cannot refuse a certain card, if they are accepting card payments

1 Like

I had this problem on an Easyjet flight last week. Lady from cabin crew basically shouted that “prepaid not accepted!!!” just as I took my card out, lol. I educated her, that this is a debit card, showed logo, explained that I have a current account. She calmed down and took my card, it even worked, 1st gen debit card during flight.

It would be impossible for Monzo to speak with every retailer. We, users, have much more power and better reach. Other argument raised - that retailer has to follow MasterCard rules is a strong argument in any discussion with retailers.

15 Likes

I’ve had this discussion before. They tend to not like it, depending on how you say it…

I only bring that particular one out if all other attempts have failed.

1 Like

I had a look at this advice. I would ask for written note why service was refused with a remark that I’ll inform Mastercard about it. Cool, calm and collected, a similar approach to how we threatened companies with BACS. :smiley:

3 Likes

That advice appears to be grounds for a solicitor to refuse to provide a legal service, so not really relevant?

1 Like

I had no issue with Monzo current account on EasyJet, two weeks ago, and nor did the random airline passenger with Monzo Prepaid sat next to me.

Umm, yeah, you are right! I was looking for a pattern of behaviour that can be applied, not necessarily like for like situation. Once I have more time, I’ll try to find a better source. :smiley:

Funny, cabin crew lady said they can’t accept prepaid cards at all. :smiley:

She is mistaken… :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Why do they care if it’s prepaid as long as the transaction goes through?

It’s short man syndrome. It’s how non-influential people wield power over others. By being bloody-minded for no good reason.

2 Likes

If this happens a lot where there is a large concentration of us we should all plan a meet and hit that store at once :joy_cat:

5 Likes

And waterloo. so they finally fix contactless on the ticket machines!

1 Like

A sort of Flash Mobzo

7 Likes

Yup!

“A Merchant must honor all valid Cards without discrimination when properly presented for
payment. A Merchant must maintain a policy that does not discriminate among customers
seeking to make purchases with a Card.
[…]
A Merchant may request but must not require a Cardholder to provide additional
identification information as a condition of Card acceptance, unless such information is
required to complete the Transaction, such as for shipping purposes, or the Standards
specifically permit or require such information to be collected” ~ taken direct from MC T&Cs

4 Likes

That’s both useful and interesting.

Up until a few years ago, it was impossible to buy anything with a card in Spain without bein. Asked for some form of photo ID. I always used my Driving Licence as it’s credit card sized

Can you post a link to that T&C for future reference please?

Those are Mastercard US T&Cs not Mastercard Europe T&Cs. Though the local one does have similar provisions.