So Why does the Post Office refuse the Monzo Card

Thanks a lot. :+1:

1 Like

I’ve never, personally, seen a minimum fee that high, but what would an illegal surcharge be without some profit margin added to it?

Minimum fees and fixed fee+percent are a thing, and if you deal mostly in small transactions you should probably avoid any processing contract with them!

So I just went to my local Nisa store which has a post office concession. Tried to pay for some small grocery item from the store.

The guy said he didn’t think he could take my Tandem or Monzo card, so took me to the post office concession till rather than the till/card machine attached to Nisa.

My Monzo card was declined.

Is this the same problem others have found? Was it dodgy he tried to get me to pay at the post office PDQ rather than the Nisa one?

I had the same at the PO in Longbenton, Newcastle upon Tyne getting cash back.

Also the cash machine outside (not PO) sometimes says there’s some error after selecting what cash you want out.

Also Shell garage in Darlington sometimes their chip n pin machine fails first time with my monzo card. But works second time randomly.

It happens because post offices are processing your payment by doing a ‘cash withdrawal’ through the post office system instead of charging you by card like normal on their own payment system.

They do this because with most other banks it works fine through the post office system and they earn a small amount of money each time they do.

2 Likes

i wish we could withdraw cash from post office…
the biggist down side for me. do NOT like cash mashines

The Post Office I used the other day was ok me paying with Monzo, I didn’t flash it around though.

3 different post offices via Apple Pay. No problem at all.

I’ve paid for postage and stamps at a Post office branch in a Co-op a few times and never had any issues.
Just used contactless with the chip and pin machine.

There’s not an issue with the cards at post office - it’s only, as I explained in an earlier post, the situation where the post office staff process it as a cash withdrawal so they can earn money from it, instead of charging you as they’re supposed to normally.

Obviously co-op and bigger places aren’t inclined to do it because they have no reason to, it’s the smaller post offices that are independent and want to cash grab a bit.

2 Likes

Sorry to piggyback off your old post, I’ve just had an experience at my local post office when trying to buy a postal order and a stamp. The postmaster refused to accept my Monzo card and wouldn’t explain why. They happily accepted my Barclays debit card. Bizzare!

No idea why that postmaster would accept Monzo, but it’s against the rules if they accept Mastercards. Next time, don’t show them it’s a Monzo card?

Postal orders have to be paid as cash only. Post office can offer to do a cash withdrawal to pay for the postal order. Postmaster should have explained this and stated that Monzo cards cannot be used for cash withdrawals at a Post Office.

Why are Monzo debit cards not accepted but Barclays cards are?

1 Like

Barclays debit cards can be used for cash withdrawals at the Post Office, Monzo cannot.

3 Likes

Cash withdrawal at the post office, is not possible - Some post office branches have a workaround, like mine, but I simple put money in another bank and withdraw off that

1 Like

Ah, yes, I see – it’s to do with the banking services that the Post Office offers.

Yeah… Monzo are not part of that ^^ They use PayPoint

It’s like the post office, but bought off Wish

3 Likes

I recently had an attempted purchase using my Chase card refused at a small village Post Office. This was for non-financial services (I was buying beer), but the PO processed it as a cash withdrawal and so it didn’t go through as Chase, like Monzo, don’t have an agreement with them. The guy serving me showed me a list of “accedited Post Office partners” (or something like that). Starling was on the list, so I used that. Seems a bit strange that they process transactions as a cash withdrawal, but there you go.

When one processes a purchase one has to pay a fee.

When one processes a cash withdrawal one receives a fee.

It is an incentive for them to process everything as cash withdrawal, such that your bank pays money to the post office.

This is also why post office cash transactions are inflated.

9 Likes