Skydiving ✈🪂

Seeing as there’s not an existing topic about this, I thought I’d make one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m going skydiving tomorrow :tada: it’s something I’ve wanted to cross off my bucket list for a while and I just wondered if anybody here had done it before? :smiley:

It’d be cool to hear your experiences and if there’s anything you’d recommend (wearing a parachute is a good fist step, or so I’ve been told :eyes:)

I’m no novice to being kitted up with a parachute while I’ve been flying but thankfully, I’ve not had to jump out before :joy: so I’m hoping it’ll be a fantastic day! :grin:

3 Likes

Just to say;

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving really isn’t for you. :joy:

12 Likes

I did a tandem skydive a good 20-odd years ago (it was less work than doing a solo). There was a lot of waiting (because the weather had to be right), and you do get a bit of training of how to go from sitting in the (seatless) aircraft and inching to the open door, and placement of arms/legs at certain points, and how to land, although the instructor I was attached to did the majority of the work and was very good.

If going tandem you will want a video (the instructor will do this), but be prepared for you to look very non-glam for the whole process. Especially the bit once you’ve landed and you’re trying to catch your breath and hug the earth.

2 Likes

Just make sure you get a photo of yourself holding a :monzocard: in mid air for the ultimate advertisement photo :camera_flash::rofl:

2 Likes

Oh, hot tip – make sure you wear good undies and the harness is placed properly as it can easily crush the jewels if not secured.

4 Likes

There’s a part of me that thinks this would be fun, but there’s a bigger part of me that just says Nope. Nope nope nope nope nope.

3 Likes

:rofl:

Tandem for me, this time at least :wink: I’m really hoping to get a wicked video or at least a few photos of the jump :blush::camera_flash:

I wish I had this on a t-shirt :sob: I’d definitely wear it tomorrow :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t mind dropping my card on the floor but I think letting go of it at such an altitude would be less than idea :wink:

Hot Chip? :yum:

I stopped reading after that :smirk: you should give it a go! Monzo social, hot coral parachutes for the whole company, raining Monzo cards from the heavens :wink:

1 Like

I did 10 static line jumps from 2500 ft in the Army, quite scary when you get in the door , quite surreal when you’re shouting 1001, 1002 , 1003, 1004 check canopy as you watch the plane going away from you and the instructor with their thumbs up sign , as people have said make sure your harness is comfortable because when the canopy stops you it can hurt , I also did a couple of civilian jumps, where in all honesty the safety training wasn’t as good.

Geronimo …:slight_smile: , enjoy yourself its a great experience

1 Like

If only there was an easy way to freeze your lost, stolen or damaged card and re-order a new one :wink::rofl:

1 Like

If only :joy:

But then I’d have to remember my card number, exp date & CVC2 all over again :sweat_smile: I don’t want my card to expire, let alone get lost :yum:

Wow! Sounds scary and fun all at the same time :open_mouth:

Thank you :grin: I’ll be sure to post some cool photos once I’ve landed safely :raised_hands:

2 Likes

please don’t die

That is all

3 Likes

I done a skydive a few years back and absolutely loved it, I wanted to go back up as soon as I got down! Would definitely do it again in a heartbeat and I’m not even that much of an adrenaline junkie :sweat_smile:

I have pictures from my skydive (that I need to scan in) and a VHS tape of it. Shows you how long ago it was.

As an aside: How do you get VHS converted to digital? Anyone know?

4 Likes

I done sky diving last year it was absolutely amazing I cant wait to do it again,

It took me a couple attempts to actually complete it as the weather was terrible but finally done it after the 6th attempt but loved every second

The beginning of that sentence nearly gave me a heart attack! :joy:

1 Like

I’m sure @Dannytc can provide some input here :slightly_smiling_face:

Best thing you will ever do!!

I did it as part of 9 challenges for a cancer hospital in Manchester…

First one I did as a tandem, and you’ll be able to see o was petrified https://youtu.be/epKvhzsztVw

Then went back a month later to do a solo static line …

Not much to recommend other than listen! I was the first one to jump on my static, and froze up forgetting everything I’d been taught… Went head first out of the door after being feet first all day… Had a man shouting over a radio at me aha… Still was worth it !

You’ll love it @nexusmaniac

One of the best experience of your life !

2 Likes

Technically you don’t need a parachute to skydive, you only need it to stop yourself smashing into the earth… just sayin…

Have fun!!

2 Likes

Biggest anticlimax… 2hrs of sitting waiting and they’ve cancelled it for the day because of the weather :sob:

I shall have to hope that the weather is fantastic next time :see_no_evil:

5 Likes