Simple Questions Thread (Newbie friendly 🙂)

Hi, I was reading online that joint accounts are currently being tested, id love to be part of that test with my girlfriend if possible? I tried following the Monzo Labs joint account option but it doesn’t let me add people. Please let me know

Once labs is on enable the payment with friends option which you can find account > settings then toggle on payment with friends

3 Likes

Is it possible that I keep my existing account, my girlfriend keeps hers and we create a new one

That can be joint?

1 Like

You both need to have an active sole account then enable joint account in labs and then follow the prompt to create a joint account. Both your sole accounts remain open and active and you can’t close them

3 Likes

Hi - do you have any plans a Monzo chip keyring / watch strap (like bpay) for simple contactless pay sub ÂŁ30 as it would be rather useful ?

Hi @gusgrillo ,

This was the latest update on the topic:

1 Like

Hi there,

Are the new joint account cards ready yet? Just was waiting on those before I sign up for a joint account, rather not start scribbling on brand new cards!

Yeah they are

That’s a shame…just ordered my joint account and got a simple monzo card, no joint account =[

Hi @Skylights - issue identified around wrong cards arriving:

2 Likes

Hi,
I had a monzo card in the UK and have now moved to Australia for the year.
If I put Australian dollars onto my monzo card, does this mean it is equivalent to using it in the UK and putting pounds on it? So, no charges using in shops, at ATMS or transferring money because the money has already been exchanged?
Thanks

You need to pay sterling in and it will be converted to local currency after. You might be better using an Australian neobank instead

2 Likes

Monzo don’t yet have a reliable way to pay non Sterling amounts into their Monzo account, but there will be no charge for you to spend using your card, or to transfer money to another U.K. bank account. You will have a £200 per rolling 30 day fee free ATM limit, after which you’ll pay an extra 3% fee for withdrawals.

As @Rat_au_van says, if you are receiving and spending in AUSD an Australian bank might be better for you.

1 Like

Keep an eye out on alt or xinja :slight_smile: they are both Monzo equivalents in OZ

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help.
What if I transfer AUSD from my Australian bank account onto my Monzo?
I just like the way Monzo records spending.
Will that effectively be the same as using my Monzo card in the UK?

1 Like

Hi @jemimaroche97,

I don’t believe you can do that.

If you have AUS, but want them in your Monzo account, you’d have to go through someone like Revolut or Transferwise.

In essence, you’d send the AUS to your Revolut AUS account, you’d then convert AUS to GBP in Revolut, finally you’d bank transfer the GBP from Revolut to Monzo.

It sounds more complicated than it is :grin:

You can do this with Transferwise (at a small cost), and then spend from Monzo. The downside is that every time you buy something, the exchange rate will be different, which could make budgeting difficult. It could work in your favour over time, or not.

I still think it’s best to be paid locally into a local bank.

Good luck, anyway.

Hi, is it possible to create custom categories to put transactions under? For instance I’d like to have one specifically for some transactions I spend at a particular site with a few shops and currently I have to use a random category that I don’t use very often.

If not, is this something that is planned in the backlog at all?

Not yet. You can use tagging for this. There’s been a lot of debate around how to improve categorisation however I don’t think any solutions or improvements have been fully fleshed out yet

1 Like

Ok, cheers for the info

1 Like