Security - it doesn't 'feel' secure

anyway wot you doin here - :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I did read the thread, once again, you bought this up -

I might not post much now but that doesn’t mean I’m not lurking :eyes: :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Please stop :stop_sign: this

Its just getting off topic if someone is not happy I think they can get in touch with CS directly for an answer.

3 Likes

I have an iPhone, it has TouchID it also has a 6 digit pin therefore my phone is secure enough.

If you have no security on your phone then sorry but you are just dumb.

3 Likes

I’m quite new here and I’m just posting an opinion so please ignore it if you want and I’m sorry if it annoys you. I just thought you may want to know how a new third party views your posts in this thread. If so, please read on

It’s not your view that is the problem but IMO but the way that you are presenting it. It comes across argumentative to me, as though “you are right” and “everyone who disagrees is wrong and needs to know it”. I don’t get that vibe from everyone else’s posts here - they feel like they are sharing theri opinion and not trying to convince people of facts

No one it right or wrong on this issue, its opinion of course! As are most things in life

9 Likes

I think this thread shows very clearly that there are people who passionately believe that the Monzo app requires greater security, and those who believe it doesn’t.

Surely, as has been suggested, the best option would be for Monzo to offer additional security options for those who are more comfortable with that (as long as those who use the additional security and those who don’t are treated the same in the event if any fraud)

1 Like

TouchID is great if you have the hardware. I don’t so I use Norton App Locker which recommended on another thread by user @anon44204028

But every phone has a pin function though…

that just for the whole phone but Norton App Locker can lock individual apps

1 Like

I like that I can secure the Monzo app but I can see why people aren’t bothered too.

My phone auto locks after 30 seconds so the odds of someone getting into it are pretty low anyway. If I hand the phone to either of my children it’s generally on guided access mode.

you are taking this guy out of context by selectively quoting part of his post.

He did not ‘bring that up’ but was quoting it as part of a reply and you should prefix the quote with … to signify you have chosen to omit some words and it therefore only a partial sentance not a whole one.

So the quote should read:
“…securing the app with password or pin or making steps in the app have aditional security layers”

Then other users can see where text omitted.

2 Likes

Echoing @alexs point that there will be additional security introduced with the CA app, so harping on and on about how Monzo doesn’t listen/ there is no security isn’t true. It is a functionality that is coming, and developing additional security for the prepaid app seems a bit pointless since we’re going to be all moved over within the month and developers are focused on the CA.

I personally am not accustomed to the email login but it is very convenient and it’s secure. I would hate if Monzo mailed you recovery details or your new password via post- I forgot one of my online login details or the 3D secure thing (who knows, too many things to answer while logging in) and it had to be posted to me :roll_eyes: took ages as well!

5 Likes

The reality is he is not bringing it up again and again in the same thread. He has brought it up in different threads that were then merged. He has given a reply to a user when they mention the subject rather than trying to reinitiate discussion himself. He brought it up when speed of starting Starling app was discussed as he felt their use of security on start up was slowing the load of that app, which is a totally separate issue to him wishing to discuss security of data in the Monzo app. While his opinion may differ from yours I feel the critisism of his postings have been taken out of context of what threads they originally in and if they were self initiated or responses.

2 Likes

I’d be happy to point out every other post where the PIN / app security has been bought up since this was first discussed but I really don’t think I need to as we’ve all seen them.

1 Like

I haven’t decided how I feel about the secuirity implementation yet.
I think it’s worth noting though, I often (without trying honest) see people enter their pin or their swipe pattern whilst on public transport. One time I saw through the security camera on a bus!

I use TouchID currently but I’m not sure we should take any phone OS level security as 100% (regardless of iOS vs Android as well) because us users aren’t perfect even if our phones are.

If someone sees me enter a pin on my phone they can grab it off me and now they can see my bank balance. If I use one of those wallet phone cases they now have my driver’s license and D.O.B and can talk to chat.

They’d have to be quick because Monzo CS are good and can freeze access but I reckon you could do some damage…

I can see the counterpoint as well that if Monzo needs a 2nd level of security my emails should too, they let me reset a tonne of valuable stuff.

For me if someone got access to my phone I’d be boned. Even android pay is really only protected by the fingerprint lock, not to mention all the passwords and 2fa stored on there.

So I have to rely on the phone security, and whilst having an extra fingerprint check in the monzo app would be good it doesn’t actually add much (because if they’ve managed to clone your fingerprint to unlock in the first place it’s not going to be a hurdle to them).

All I can do is hope that it slows a determined attacker down long enough that I can deuthenticate it and block it.

3 Likes

Just a thought, can you add a four digit PIN and fingerprint capability to the Android App. All my banking and financial services apps have a PIN or password and it feels a little insecure that there is only one level of protection into the Monzo App (my actual phone password). I’m sure lots of people have friends who know their phone password or just don’t have one at all. Adding an additional level of security would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

@Ngoodiso Moved to dedicated topic that already exists. :slight_smile:

1 Like

if this would be attacker has the skill to clone your fingerprint, wouldn’t they have the skill to break your passcode - Jason Bourne style ?