Samsung Pay 2021

By turning on the require device unlock for NFC, might not work on some older devices.

1 Like

I think that’s outdated advice (EDIT: or advice only for Google Pixel phones?).

I have Android 12, latest patch, on an S20. There is no “Connected devices” in settings; there is “Connections”, and then “NFC and contactless payments”.
In there, there is no such setting as “Require device unlock for NFC.”

Even using the search function, this setting does not exist anywhere.

Works for me, not that I use the option

On what phone?

Wouldn’t this be somewhere in the Google pay app settings?

Yep, except it’s not, it’s a “feature”.

There is a help page somewhere where it lists the limits for payments when the phone is locked for various countries. As far as I have searched, there is no way to stop GPay working when the phone is locked.

I did see something relative to this.

Is google pay capped in form of a limit ie £30 and then anything over, security is needed?

I’m Apple, so all pay needs to be unlocked first.

1 Like

I am not sure, and the help article isn’t super-clear either, but my interpretation of it is that you have a total of £45 that you are allowed to spend (either in one or multiple transactions), and after you hit that total with the phone locked, it will ask you to unlock the phone for further payments.
I assume that once you make an ‘unlocked’ payment, the locked limit resets.

I will have plenty of chances to test all this over the summer holidays :grinning:

In the grand scheme of things, £45 isn’t a huge amount to lose if the phone gets stolen (of course that depends on who you ask) but I am not sure if any insurance covers that (and even if it did, surely there would be some excess to render it unrecoverable).

Personally I don’t trust google enough anymore.
It was my mistake but in the past my account was hacked a couple of times after which I was subscribed to a costly weekly subscription.
The thing is if you use google for everything if you ever get hacked they have access to everything- passwords, cards etc. After the first time I deleted and changed all my passwords that were stored in google as well as replaced all cards that were registered. Now I only use 1password for passwords and for payments- Apple , Samsung pay or the card itself as I don’t trust anything else.
When I got that expensive weekly subscription I emailed Google and they did nothing. Took me a month to get my money back thanks to the bank I was using. Because Google said that there was nothing wrong - the subscription was approved by my account - by the way had 2fa activated.
I’m not saying that Samsung or Apple would help but they are more secure.
Now I use google only for my personal email, youtube, the app store and google maps.

1 Like

Anyone else had a notification from Samsung wallet today to say Monzo is now available to add to Samsung pay?

1 Like
1 Like

Yes, I did, too, but it wouldn’t activate by performing the “Open App” action