Launching Android Pay Top Ups!

4 Likes

I don’t really understand what benefit this brings? I mean topping if via your debit card is instant anyways.

I am sure I am just missing something but as a user why would I prefer to do this via Android pay. That presumably just charges my debit card anyway?

4 Likes

and when will Monzo have SamsungPay???

(For those that don’t know SamsungPay is different from AndroidPay and ApplePay in that it uses both NFC and MST so has a higher acceptance rate when travelling in regions such as North America. They also plan to incorporate loyalty points and discount vouchers at a later date so extend it beyond basic payment functionality. Unfortunately it is only on basic models so those with cheaper phones will not be able to use it)

Great! Nothing left to do on the roadmap but roll out the current account!

1 Like

It’s currently not in the roadmap so who knows when it might appear. I’d suspect you’d see it on there if they consider it but I’d suggest they’d focus on android and Apple pay to increase the compatibility as it’s still a very small user base with Samsung pay.

Anybody tried topping up with a credit card via Android Pay?

Yes, with some slightly strange results -

https://community.monzo.com/t/android-pay-2/6195/28?u=alexs

It does charge your debit card but @RichardR’s told me that if the top up’s under £30 Android Pay doesn’t require authentication so Android Pay would be quicker if you don’t have a card set up in the Monzo app & might be quicker even if you do? Plus it’s cooler :wink:

To clarify, this is based on my own testing with a Metro Bank debit card in Android Pay on a device without fingerprint authentication.

1 Like

Any idea how your bank / Android Pay treated it? When I topped up my Revolut card using Android Pay it was classed as “money orders - wire transfer” rather than “financial institutions - merchandises and services” when doing a card top-up.

2 Likes

I am sorry, but I still really see absolutely no advance to this. If you already have a card set up, which essentially everyone does after the first top up this gives you no advantage right?

I mean how could it be any quicker? Its instant topping up from a debit card

2 Likes

It can be far quicker if your card normally goes through some kind of 3D Secure process such as Verified by Visa or MasterCard SecureCode.

2 Likes

Credit card statement arrived today. No cash advance fee for the Monzo top up.

Ah now I see, I do not have to do this when I top up using my halifax debit card. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

2 Likes

Samsung Pay is not likely to be the big hit Samsung would hope as they’re not including MST in the UK due to the adoption rate of NFC being so high. This was announced when the go live date was. It’s basically going to be no different to Android Pay and that already has the traction so will get small take up from existing users of AP which has the major banks except Barclays on board. Basically there’d be no point for Monzo to do this for the minority who want a Samsung badge on their payment choice.

Tried to top up ÂŁ100 via Android Pay using a Halifax Debit card.
Was declined. Upon ringing Halifax, they informed me it came through as an Android Pay wallet transaction and was subject to the £30 limit (similar to single contactless transactions). However, this isn’t clear from the UI that Android Pay isn’t really an option once the amount goes above £30.

Not sure if this is exclusive to something I’m doing, or something wrong with the app.

1 Like

I think the problem is that the limit varies from bank to bank & Monzo don’t set it so they can’t warn the user in advance that the payment might be blocked.

1 Like