Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) chat

Just confirmed it works fine. Both the rbs app and the website ask me to select a card (either the mastercard or the digital banking card) to use with the card reader to generate an approval code.

Interestingly ive had to use my nationwide card reader as i havent received the RBS one yet but it worked fine and the money transferred immediately once i input the code.

I mean i guess it makes it a tiny bit more conveneient if you keep the digital banking card with your card reader (i just hate having to use the damn things anyway) rather than me having to find my wallet with the current account card in.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

How weird! I’ve never seen one of these. Maybe it’s a weird old process that you fell into.

All the card readers are the same technology underneath (except HSBC) so can be used interchangeably

2 Likes

So my “activation code” is past the 48 hours now, guess I’m waiting 7-10 days for it to come in the post.

2 Likes

Saturday and Sunday don’t count, I expect

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think I ever got that text. I had to use my card number to get into online banking and use the live chat for the missing details and get the digital stuff set up that way.

3 Likes

I got all my things in due course but can’t remember what came when and if it was digital or not

3 Likes

I figured but I got the initial text 9am Saturday morning. :man_shrugging:t2:

EDIT: Email rather, got the email 9am Saturday to say I’ll get a text within 48 hours.

Eh?

I’ve banked with Natwest (yes, I get it is totally different bank) but essentially the same app, and I believed the same systems. I didn’t know anyone other than Nationwide used card readers for anything these days.

1 Like

I don’t even have a card reader just use biometric verification

1 Like

Live chat told me to do one and wait for my activation code in the post, 7-10 working days. :grimacing:

2 Likes

I had an activation code by SMS within 48 hours fairly recently at Ulster.

2 Likes

They told me on live chat that because it’s a new account they have to send it through the post. Not sure what’s true and what isn’t at this point.

It’ll have been well over 2 weeks from applying to getting access providing nothing goes wrong, seems insane nowadays.

2 Likes

It’s insane. But most people never do it.

1 Like

To be fair I don’t really know anyone who hasn’t just had the same bank account all their adult life, so it’s definitely not a big deal in the grand scheme as most people won’t be opening accounts.

1 Like

When someone does actually decide to bother opening a new account, though, it’s a major opportunity to impress them!

This separate Digital Banking card may have something to do with the Visa and Mastercard debit card switch, and is possibly being sent in cases where a Mastercard debit card hasn’t been issued but a customer also has no Visa card? All the old internet banking stuff was obviously set up on Visa systems, so it could be that, and there may have been a delay in sending out your Mastercard - causing this to be issued as a fallback. Otherwise, I’ve only seen these kinds of cards for business users who don’t/can’t have debit cards but need to log in to online banking.

It reminds me a bit of when some banks used to issue separate ATM and debit cards.

2 Likes

Finally got my activation code, set up online banking, went to register on the app and it says I have to wait 3 full days after updating my mobile number… It asked for my mobile number during setting up online banking, surely that doesn’t count as “updating my number”?

This is beyond a joke at this point. :joy:

6 Likes

Now my account is restricted, dunno why because it wasn’t 15 minutes ago! Says I need a card reader to un-restrict it.

Guess it’s going in the “unused accounts” wallet this card.

3 Likes

I suspect many of these niggles are relating to going through the old form.

I’m pretty sure new customers who go through the new form have everything set up for them there and then automatically.

According to me friend, they got app access straight away, took a bit for the account to appear though, but when it did could add their card to Apple Pay without needing to wait for the physical. So not too bad for a traditional bank.

But the old form is like applying for the account in the olden days, when you needed to register for internet banking separately, and would usually need to register for telephone banking first, and then mobile banking after internet banking, all with delays and waiting for snail mail between each step for security.

Don’t go collecting the Nationwide cards next, whatever you do! Their process is much much slower!

4 Likes

It’s very annoying I will admit, the first time I logged in I had full access, then I sent 1p from my other bank to the account and that seemed to log me out of RBS, so I logged back in and now it’s restricted.

Wasn’t worth the fancy card. :joy:

1 Like

I even had an account shut shortly after opening for this… so I don’t do test payments (CoP made them unnecessary anyway) anymore and am very cautious with doing anything with a bank account until absolutely fully set up

3 Likes