Reversals now take a week?

So first we could self-reverse a transaction. Then we had to use in-app chat. Now I’m being directed to the Mastercard disputes flow, with a response time of a week?

I totally understand the changes (as Monzo staff have kindly explained in other threads). But a week to remove a pending transaction? Argh.

Going through a similar issue myself with a failed payment to a merchant, for which I have written evidence they won’t be taking payment but Monzo has the payment ringfenced and failing to deal with it accordingly.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been a big Monzo fanboy, beta user, investor and Business account customer, but I got to say customer service experience has taken a serious nose dive. Very sad to see it. :tired_face:

4 Likes

How did you try to reclaim? Did you go through the “something wrong with this transaction” screen?

No, i used the link that they gave me in chat.

The feature to “question payment” wasn’t available although mentioned in the help section to do so.

Oh okay. Fair enough… No idea if it’s any different, but you can probably click on a pending transaction & scroll to the bottom + click something wrong (or words to that effect).

It’ll probably give you the same info etc. :man_shrugging:

I know there have been changes in this area based on things like total amount, merchant, user etc. etc. to deem whether something is reverted instantly or if you have to wait.

I haven’t seem that work for a while - it just says to contact support.

Which if it’s going to take a week is basically pointless as pending payments drop off in 1-2 weeks anyway.

5 Likes

It depends on the purchase amount or at least it used to.

Good news and bad news!

Monzo reversed the pending transaction within a day, which is great. But they seem to have started a Mastercard chargeback, which is weird because it’s a pending transaction, so that shouldn’t be possible. (Also I don’t need to dispute it!)

Calling @Rika :blush:

1 Like

Rika doesn’t work for monzo anymore unfortunately,

But I think I saw mentioned elsewhere that they just start the chargeback process incase the merchant collects it , so they get a head start.

4 Likes

this ? -

4 Likes

Nice! Thank you! So it sounds like they haven’t actually initiated a chargeback (because they can’t since it’s a pending transaction) but they will if the merchant presents at a later date.

A week may be a pain to wait but its better than
B / Virgin Money / Yorkshire Bank.
they revers it too quickly. make a payment then after 1 - 2 days, it comes off so available again on all card payments. this may sound great but you can then end up spending money you don’t have.

1 Like

Somewhat, a Dispute is opened against the transaction and depending on what happens after you raise the dispute, it follows one of many paths.

A chargeback can only be raised once the transaction has settled, but there are other options for disputing and/or refunding a payment before it settles!

8 Likes

Or even 32 days.
Had an active card check done (and not detected) on 24th Aug. After about a week I got fedup of it not being returned and used the something wrong option on the pending transaction. The only course of action it offers is waiting until 25th Sep when it will be reversed if not claimed.
It’s only 1p but depending on the amount 32 days is stupidly long!

Interestingly this notification also suggests that Monzo now refund Mastercard disputes at the start of the dispute (like other banks) rather than waiting until the dispute is won (like they used to). And that is great!

Interestingly this notification also suggests that Monzo now refund Mastercard disputes at the start of the dispute (like other banks) rather than waiting until the dispute is won (like they used to). And that is great!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.