Removing stains from clothes?

I’ll be on smol once my current lot for the supermarket run out, prob get my order in within the next couple of weeks.

Just need to find a fabric conditioner to use next

No.

If anyone has bobbly/frizzy clothes I recommend the jml bobble off
It gets rid of bobbles on clothes and make them look brand new
£8 from Argos

If you get a stain on clothes I heard you have to instantly treat it and then put it in the wash? What if you are not at home and can’t put it in the wash immediately?

Or is the whole immediate thing just a myth ?

If you’re not at home, you have to rush as quick as possible. If you’re in a pub, you can ask to use their sink.

1 Like

It can depend on the stain. The sooner you treat a stain the better, but how soon after you should wash it, or how you should wash it can vary by stain. I wouldn’t worry too much about stains. You can treat them with just about any laundry detergent containing enzymes, by rubbing some of the liquid into the clothes before washing. Dri-Pak liquid soap is a usual recommendation, and I’m sure you’ll be able to do something using distilled vinegar too.

You might find places like r/howtodolaundry and r/internetparents useful for help, tips and recommendations for things like this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks mate for the info

I’ve used vanish gel so far and it seems good :+1:t4:

You can’t really go wrong with products dedicated at removing stains, just be sure you follow their instructions to the letter. I’ve always used this for removing any pet accidents from carpets. It’s the only effective product I’ve found that always works at both removing the stain and the odour, without needing to clean afterwards besides vacuuming. I suspect it would work on clothes too, if ever you find Vanish isn’t quite up to the task.

It depends not only on stains, but also on the material of the clothes. So, it is important to pay attention to this when choosing a stain remover.

You don’t need a fabric conditioner with Smol, it leaves everything lovely and soft. I use white vinegar instead of conditioner simply because I suffer from ocd and worry about germs.

1 Like

I’m a bit addicted to conditioner but I’ll try without

Put me washing in and then the dryer for 60min and one of my white t shirts now has feint red marks on them ?
I’ve put loads of vanish on it and back onto the wash at a higher temperature .

Can anyone suggest tips to stop clothes colour from running ?

Wash cold, tumble dry low, and always inside out. It’s the hot water that causes the colours to run, not the dryer. Otherwise, don’t mix colours.

Even washing cold and tumble drying with a low heat, I wouldn’t risk putting whites with any other colour. But your coloured and blacks should be fine together.

2 Likes

Thanks dude !

I have put the white t shirt with the red on it in the wash twice and it still hasn’t come off

It all happened when I was trying to shrink some of my clothes , I put the cottons in hot water in the sink, then put them in the dryer for an hour.

I’m not sure what you can do to remove the red colour from it. It’s not a stain per se, it’s dye, so stain remove won’t work because they dryer will have set it in.

I would suggest using Dylon, but I don’t think they offer white dye, there might be products out there than can remove the colour though, but not something I’ve ever researched so can’t recommend any. Perhaps start here.

1 Like

If it’s pure white, bleaching could work?*

*I have never tried it and don’t know the effect of bleach on white fabric. I assume it would make it whiter but who knows

In my experience it makes it yellow. I made that mistake one

1 Like

Ah, clearly not then

Ok the red dye has completely come out of my jumper and faded from the t shirt which is great

Might be a silly question as you don’t mix whites and colours , I have a jumper which is red and white , is it best not to put it in the dryer then

What does it say on the wash care label?

As it’s the hot water from the washing machine that causes the colours to run, it’s usually best to wash those garments on a cold wash, or at least turn it down to 30. It’s usually safe to then tumble dry those garments if they were washed on a cold cycle. Try to avoid tumble drying if you can, but if you must tumble dry, use only a low heat setting.

I have a white towel, with an orange label on it. I wash it with my other white towels. By following the above rule of thumb (wash cold, tumble dry low), I’ve never had an issue with the colour running.

1 Like