Remember that UI design you all hated? We explain it here 👇

I second the getting rid of the plus/premium tabs. It’s a waste of space for someone who might already have those products.

But I do like the idea of a central home hub - I like the idea of “tiles” that might sometimes change depending on the context (eg. “you’ve spent £x on coffees this month so far”) - akin to NatWest’s attempt with their “Newsfeed”.

Also just to add this kind of post brings me joy just because it’s so… Monzo and brings me back to the older days of engaging users and the community. It has a fresh excitement to it, which is great.

19 Likes

Very much in favour of tinkering with the design. Might be worth having a ‘new ux’ test tab to gather usability feedback on officially rather than accidentally :smiley:

As a small screen-haver, the cards occupy a ton of space on my screen. They look cool but feel a bit off. If they stay, it might make sense to have the Monzo card be the center of the user experience rather than the left-most starting experience, and use the left of the card for something else? :slight_smile:

Also, it’s great to see this level of transparency on what’s gone on. Thanks!

2 Likes

I use the labs to have my joint account first and have 3 pots on the joint account. On my personal, I have flex and two pots. I hate having to swipe through all these cards to get to the personal pot.

I know you can swipe down to pull up all the accounts overview but I think there must be a better way to display all the accounts and pots as an overview and have the option to jump into one of them when needed.

2 Likes

Please do similar to this, it’s one of the best things about the Natwest app!

2 Likes

Getting rid of premium / plus gradients.

1 Like

Oh wow wow wow.

Firstly, thanks so much for the post and for closing off that particular mystery.

I’ve really fond memories of @bruno and the V2 iteration, so really keen to be along for the ride again!

I’ll no doubt spam this thread with overly long posts and links to thoughts I’ve had before, but here are my hopes:

• Kill the card metaphor. It really doesn’t work for the Monzo = spending card thing.
  • A more flexible feed that can show multiple accounts and which has advanced search / filters would be amazing
  • The pull down accounts screen list thing really needs to be a separate tab, and be extended to show net worth etc.
  • Fixing the hierarchy between your Monzo app, Monzo current account, connected cards and pots etc. It’s still confusing about where app settings are vs current account info etc.
  • Make a big call: what is Monzo for? Is it a current account, a suite of Monzo products or a financial hub? Then tell us! Form follows function, after all.

Oh, and let’s not have too much diversion between the US and the UK. I worry a bit that the problems are the same but you’re over localising (maybe because the US team is still more in start up mode?)

And yes, it has to spark joy! :joy:

15 Likes

I liked it. Or rather the direction you were trying to go in, even if it seemed a little rough.

3 Likes

My favourite iteration was the prepaid interface because it was so simple… the information you wanted was there and it worked like all other apps, there were limited places you needed to click to ‘explore’ (burger menu, and later tabs, which are so common they’re learned behaviour now). The current interface just feels like it’s trying to hide stuff in random places so you don’t find it.

Obviously monzo does more than it did then… and trying to do more in the tiny space available on a mobile is a tough problem… I don’t envy you the task of restructuring all of that… As others have said I really don’t think the cards interface works though - especially when it’s polluted with adverts… perhaps a combined feed that you can filter (and the filter sticking as a user preference).

6 Likes

This :point_up:

1 Like

These both sound great! The personalisation in particular now there are so many different features/areas of the app.

Very excited for the sneak peeks :eyes:

6 Likes

Waiting.
Waiting.
Waiting.

giphy
:soon:

11 Likes

Please do and thank you for starting the conversation. It’s how the community should be, though at the same time it’s not always possible to please everyone.

Regarding the “test” UI for me another personal request would be to keep the landing screen as simple as possible.

One of the things I like most about the current UI is how simple the accounts screen “at a glance view is”

I can open the app, quickly check my balance in all pots and connected accounts and be on my way.

Here are some other thoughts I have, for consideration.

• Plus tab adds little to no value. I mentioned it before but again here to really reiterate that.
  • a better use of that space would be a dashboard showing spending over time, insights and money saving tips.
  • I think the whole card UI takes up way took much space. I’d rather that simply showed your balance, your budget and the card was on a different tab for management.
  • I guess there are plans but the whole clicking around between summary and budget isn’t nice, would be great to just have one thing there.
  • the search transactions is a little hidden for me
  • I actually don’t mind the plus gradient, but the ability to disable and re enable it would be great.
  • I’m not overly convinced how useful merchant logos are. Feels like it’d be a nicer UI without.
  • the bar at the bottom is super nice to use as is
  • the transaction feed, would love to see the £ symbol in front of the values.
3 Likes

I’ve just reread @emmag’s post and I think this needs quoting for truth.

So so important. I wonder if radical UI changes are worth less than a whole bunch of smaller quality of life improvements.

(My worry with every “evolution” is that it is never finished. There’s always the best of intentions to fix things as they go but it never happens. So we need to have essential stuff right at the core of any new design).

7 Likes

I agree, this is a solution looking for a problem. The current interface is fine. Not everyone likes it, and Monzo has to accept that. Because, news flash, not everyone will like what you create. What you have needs tweaks for sure, it needs some tidying up.

You really should not be starting over two (?) years after the previous radical overhaul. Evolution not revolution.

4 Likes

Thanks for your post @emmag. So interesting to hear what happened and lovely you shared with the community. I’m always up for seeing what might be on the horizon and share thoughts. Looking forward to post two :eyes:

3 Likes

Now this is a bold opinion…

4 Likes

I like the merchant logos a lot. The only issue comes from the changing/adding of them. Whatever system they use on connected accounts needs to be brought over as it’s far superior and much, much faster to update. For some reason.

9 Likes

Oh I know.

I, initially liked them. But over time I’ve come to realise they probably cause more time spent trying to fix the right one than they are worth and can, in my opinion, look messy on the feed.

Imagine how much time could be spent fixing issues elsewhere if they didn’t have to respond to people complaining that the McDonald’s logo was slightly more red than it used to be……

I’m actually inclined to agree with you.
The logos were fine, but they’re just hell to keep right.
I’d rather they were removed and the list could be a bit more compact.

1 Like

As a joint account customer, it’s really good to hear these things are on your radar.

Multiple times I’ve paid someone and realised I’ve paid them from the wrong account.

So many times I’ll see a (1) on the app and I have no idea if that was something I just paid, an update from Monzo on one of the accounts or my girlfriend spending some money.

3 Likes