Refund/Chargeback

I agree, this is entirely PayPal at fault. Not the first time, nor the last I fear, that this will happen.

All you can do is lodge a complaint with PayPal I think. And as I’ve said before, not much Monzo can do (nor any other FCSC bank).

I hope your opening post doesn’t now reflect your attitude towards Monzo.

2 Likes

I going frow a simpler thing I not sure in what options I have I have connect PayPal but I lost I don’t know what to do as I payed the right way and i have all emails from the seller saying he will send and all info will be given and has not.

If you are in contact with the seller, tell PayPal. This is a PayPal issue.

Thank you, i am waiting on a call back from a manager of PayPal who PROMISED me 2 months ago that he will get the money refunded. Seems this is more a paypal issue than monzo, so I wont let this affect my later views of the Bank. But I hope they come up with a more simple solution to this

4 Likes

You would think so

Have you tried contacting Facebook also? I haven’t used it before so am not sure, but if this was on their Facebook Marketplace perhaps there is some level of buyer protection there?

1 Like

You hope Paypal come up with a more simple solution? I wouldn’t hold your breathe…

You can report post on Facebook but I not use how much help they would be

I did contact FB, provided them the name and email of the seller but they closed theyre account AS SOON as the money hit there account so there was nothing to trace back. Or so they say.

Hope you get it sorted!

2 Likes

Thank you, will keep you all updated :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could report it to https://www.actionfraud.police.uk

I wouldn’t expect SWAT teams to be descending on anyone’s home as a result, but it might help others.

2 Likes

Might be worth trying to report it they not sure what help it would be but all way worth reporting

1 Like

Thank you all for your help and enlightenment!

So the tldr was nothing to do with banks but a classic PayPal scam where the scammer asked you to send via friends and family as they knew PayPal won’t protect the transaction.

Did you still want people to close their Monzo account? It sucks being scammed but the anger is in the wrong place. Unfortunately I’d be surprised if you see the £75 again.

2 Likes

I’m very sorry to hear what happened. It must be frustrating. Thank you for sharing your experience. It will help others to inform their decision on whether or not to use Monzo to fund PayPal purchases. However, I agree with the consensus here that you don’t have a case against Monzo. Your case is with PayPal.

Monzo are not the only bank to have such terms and conditions. Halifax also stipulate this for the use of their credit cards, and I’m willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of other providers have similar restrictions on purchase protection. So if you’re not going to bank with Monzo for that reason, you shouldn’t be banking with them either. Here’s a screenshot of that section on the Halifax website:

This is actually pretty common. Section 75 protection doesn’t usually apply if you pay via PayPal. More on that here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75/

2 Likes

Just to reiterate the last couple of posts, they are correct.

When bank A pays service B and service B sends your money to scammer C, the only party who can help you are service C.

You have no claim against bank A because service B received the money. That’s where their responsibility ends.

Personally, this kind of risk is why I avoid Paypal wherever possible. I stopped using my account years ago, and if merchants only have a Paypal checkout I will more often than not shop elsewhere instead. In the rare instance where I have no choice and have researched the merchant carefully before paying, I will also contact them to ask them to consider having a better check-out option.

1 Like

There’s not a single bank out there that are going to have anything to do with a third party provider.

It’s like having Bob the bad independent mechanic doing some work on your Fiesta and then complaining to Ford that your car’s fucked and wanting them to do something about it.

Maybe not the best example, given for your example to work, Ford have to not be in the chain, while with the payments issue at the start of this thread Monzo are in the chain.

Thus in real life, if you took your car to Ford to have it fixed, and Ford subcontracted the job to Bob the Bad Mechanic, then Ford would be responsible for making it right to you.

It’s very hard to think of an analogy that actually works, as this kind of liability seems limited to financial transactions.

Sorry, I’m being awfully picky, I know. I’ll get me coat.

3 Likes