Reasons for closing threads

Unless there’s trolling, personal attacks or a breach of forum rules, I feel strongly that Monzo staff and Coral Crew shouldn’t be closing threads as often as they are.

I keep seeing “this conversation is circular so there’s nothing more to be said here” as a reason for closing a thread. It’s not a good look when a thread about poor customer service is closed for that reason.

24 Likes

This thread is closed as the conversation could become circular

I saw that there is a subreddit where people can pay for the mods to ban people they disagree with (up to $100 for a permaban). Should this be implemented here too?

3 Likes

I agree that I keep seeing it, and I also agree it’s not a good enough reason to close a thread.

However, I don’t think there’s any malicious undercurrent, I think it’s just that those particular threads attract a lot of flags and when the thread descends into flagging and bickering, I can understand why a mod may rather close it than police continued juvenile behaviour in the form of flagging.

3 Likes

Absolutely not! And I am grateful for the work of the Coral Crew, who do this thankless task for free - and super grateful to the few Monzo staff who still come on to the forum. This isn’t a criticism of their work - I just want to provoke some thinking about how and why threads are closed.

Agree with the overflagging problem - the specific thread I’m referring to didn’t seem to have that problem (ie it had never been automatically closed because of flags).

1 Like

Even worse than closing of threads are people that make threads they should PM someone about.

IF(UsernameMention=“Starling”,BanPot+1,0)

4 Likes

Monzo are looking at different ways to become profitable :wink:

6 Likes

On a more serious note I think this thread will have to be careful as there’ll be a very fine line between bashing the Coral Crew and constructive chat.

For me when the threads get closed down all too often it feels like the person closing them simply doesn’t agree with what’s being discussed.

8 Likes

I want to reemphasise that this isn’t supposed to be a subtweet attack on any individual :blush: I just want to talk about reasons for closing threads, and whether there are healthier ways to handle it - maybe with a clear policy on reasons a thread could be closed.

4 Likes

Oh I don’t mean to bash the mods or the Coral Crew at all and totally appreciate the work they do. I think there are a few topics that get closed every day for the number of flags and moderating them must be a real pain

I hope my previous comment will be taken as tongue-in-cheek.

I do think a balance needs to be struck between shutting down circular discussions and ones where valid points are still raised

2 Likes

Or start an in-app chat… :wink:

My personal view is that if a thread is about a specific issue, and that issue has been dealt with then to avoid a thread rehashing issues that already discussed elsewhere it’s best to close the thread and keep the discussion in a single place.

There are plenty of threads about customer service on the community - it doesn’t make sense to keep them all open :blush:

5 Likes

Maybe they could be combined?

They could, but then I think we run the risk of having huge threads where it’s difficult to keep track of specific issues and their (potential) resolutions.

Also, I don’t have permissions to merge threads heh

3 Likes

Errr… I think you do…

3 Likes

Apparently this has to be granted by staff

Then don’t close the threads you do.

2 Likes

I think you forgot to quote the bit where I explained why I closed them. There are threads generally discussing issues which is perfectly okay, but when a customer comes on to post a specific issue that is then resolved and the conversation moves on to something that is being discussed elsewhere it’s right to close it.

4 Likes

I have less permissions to moderate than coral crew (which is totally cool, I post here in a personal capacity). I can close and reopen threads, but cannot merge and split topics :blush:

1 Like

Maybe start linking where it has already been discussed? So people can pick it up there if they want. It might save some confusion

5 Likes

Totally agree - I’ll remember to do that in future :pray:

6 Likes