Re-design the Monzo card

Have Monzo considered looking at rotating their debit card and printing numbers on the back to join the new design all other fintechs are following?

I hope not, they look like gift cards

But who knows what theyā€™ll do with the 2 new cards that will be on Plus next year

9 Likes

My mum would always comment on how my dadā€™s starling card looked like a fisher price toy. (Yet to convince my mum to get a fintech yet)
The monzo card looks smart being embossed and classic style. (Only embossed card I have)
And the colour is always a conversation starter, or a arkward stare as alot of older people that work in shops round here have never seen a card not from the legacy banks.

3 Likes

Having to order a new card for the first time in a long time, I like the new flow where you can pick and choose your card (I get to pick only between an Investor and non-investor card but Iā€™m sure it was made for Monzo Plus users to choose multiple styles).

Monzo could easily have both a classic card and a more modern card and customers just choose the style? Personally I prefer the classic design and hope they donā€™t go like Starling.

3 Likes

Vertical cards were very much 2018. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2019 a metal obsession. :metal:

2020 :thinking: plastic free obsession, trend to start using phones instead with an option not to be sent a card. Save the :whale: :earth_americas: and avoid the SCA

9 Likes

Or another way to save the planet :earth_africa: why not have longer expiry dates, less plastic wastage then :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I donā€™t mind if itā€™s horizontal or vertical but would like to get rid if the horrible misaligned embossed numbers and have a smarter design with numbers on the back.

The current design is ruined by the expiry date placement, and also these embossed numbers look really tatty after a few months when the white rubs off and are hard to read - in contrast my starling card still looks smart. Also I havenā€™t seen one of those imprint machines in about 20 years, and if the power goes out when paying they could just write the details - itā€™s just as insecure. So I canā€™t see any reason to stay embossed.

Metal is even more wasteful and expensive than plastic IMO and will never be a mainstream option.

An option to opt out of a plastic card would be nice too.

1 Like

Monzos lack of start date on the card is annoying, if you pay at some places it shows on the receipt.

Useful for those US websites which need it.

1 Like

This is such a great idea! Could save so much waste with what must be very little effort.

Unless there is a strict rule on how long a card can be valid?

2 Likes

Can you not just subtract 3 years from the expiry date?

2 Likes

Can honestly say that I have never ever once needed a start date, plenty of sites ask for it but iā€™ve never seen it as a required option, always thought it was a waste on a card.

4 Likes

No strict rule is enforced. The reason for it is purely introduced to counter fraud, and most banks stick with three years so you arenā€™t ā€˜promotingā€™ their brand with a scruffy faded card in an old designā€¦ :slight_smile:

Or even better digital numbers and expiration dates.
You keep your card for as long as you want and you can just change/refresh your numbers in-app once expired or compromised.
Iā€™m pretty sure Apple Card already does it.

2 Likes

I thought there was an expiration date for the chip, after a while the chips become unreliable and so needs replacing ever 4/5 years.

Another vote here for non embossed cards.
Just my personal opinion, but I do think they look much better.

1 Like

I have only ever had one card that actually lasted lasted until itā€™s expiry date and that was a Credit Card that I keep for emergencies only. Other than that I donā€™t think Iā€™ve had a card that has lasted that long. Even though I use Apple Pay wherever possible the cards still donā€™t last.

Until you go to the USA and they want to ZipZap your card but canā€™t because itā€™s not got embossed lettering?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve all cards iā€™ve had last until they expire
apart from a credit card I closed after like 2 weeks beacuse I hated the concept of it. (never used it)

Until you go to the USA and they want to ZipZap your card but canā€™t because itā€™s not got embossed lettering?

They should write the number in that case but knowing Americans they would refuse to and insist you pay cash or with a embossed card.

Currently have the opposite problem. My contactless has stopped working and my card looks incredibly scruffy but I would like to keep my 16 digit number as I have it memorised.

Do Americans really still use those? :thinking:
I havenā€™t seen one in nearly 20 years.

3 Likes