Raylo

For the iPhone 11 Pro 64GB, they offer insurance for £8.99 / mo,

A quick look for other mobile insurance packages, show prices between £9 - £13 top end for Unlimited Claims (Raylo have 2), and excesses between £60-£100. The very cheapest I saw was £6/mo with similar restricitons

One with the best excess I saw, was Cover Cloud, with £10.30 per month, with a £60 excess, with a greater level of coverage.

I’d say the cover is about average with whats on the market.

I cant speak for the examples you’ve found but in terms of average cost of insurance it may be a bit higher than you think. The networks charge in and around £15 per month for insurance.

Edit - looking at the Cover Cloud policy there are some things to be aware of:

• doesnt cover theft when you are away from your home - if you get it stolen on the street you’re not covered
  • doesnt cover first 14 days if its not a new device
  • you have to send them your phone for repair and prove you own it

We cover you on the first 2 points above and you can take your Raylo phone to an Apple store or Apple certified shop for repair if it gets damaged.

Just checking on MSE £80yr (£6.66) - £120yr (£10)

Your insurance covers accidents, liquid damage, theft and unauthorised calls (up to £1,000) plus loss of the phone. You also get overseas cover.

Excess £75 to £150 (depending on model and memory size).

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-mobile-phone-insurance/#11

To quote that page:

MSE Blagged: Newbies using code MSEIPHONE10 get £10 off the annual premium from Insurance2Go* (won’t apply if you choose to pay monthly). This means for the full cover policy you’ll pay from:

• £80/yr for the iPhone 11
  • £120/yr for the iPhone 11 Pro or iPhone Pro Max

So again, not averages but starting prices at a discounted rate…

That’s not starting prices that’s the full cover prices.

The £10 year discount is 83p difference thought :man_shrugging:

So the £90 (£7.50) - £130 (£10.83) without the tenner off.

The essential cover (just accidents, liquid damage) is cheaper still. Here’s the direct page without that MSE referral

So its £11.99 per month full cover on the 11 Pro 64GB + £125 excess - also you have to post them your phone if claiming damage…

Hand on heart, do you believe you offer are a ‘challenger provider’ with ‘the aim of offering consumers more transparency and simplicity’

Or is the business designed to extract money from people who do no research (and there is not necessarily anything wrong with that).

I kind of feel you can’t offer the former (transparency) if you are the latter.

6 Likes

£11.99 are you looking if you paid monthly? If you’re factoring in costs you got to look at annual.

It’s £130 a year standard price (without the £10 discount).

£130 / 12 = £10.83

You are only paying the max £125 if you actually make a claim.

You aren’t posting anything for loss/theft obviously, and even in Ts&C’s they might only ask to post for minor repairs not every claim.

1 Like

Fair points,

To the first one, It sounds like it’s not covered if you have your phone out. If it’s concealed it’s covered. Fair it doesn’t cover every eventuality.

That said though, the Raylo terms are very vague - there’s a line about “reasonable precaution” - I’d suspect that a number of claims get decline via that route.

Edit to add: I’d also be interesting in hearing from users who have had a claim. My big fear with such a nondescript policy, from a company who has been trading for 4 months; I only have a really vague policy to base a decision on.

Also on Damage - they may be rejected if a case and screen protector arent fitted per your policy, specifically stated as an example there - so it’s not like Raylo’s covers every need either.

My bigger worry with your policy is the lack of clearly defined terms, coupled with the fact that it’s reliant on your claim being approved with Raylo’s underwriter. I sort of expect that the terms Raylo receive from AXA are not as simple as those you present to the User.

All in all, like with anything, it’s buyer beware - and one has to do their research on insurance to make sure they are comfortable with the coverage provided.

Same goes for the package as a whole.

2 Likes

My final thoughts after spending too long thinking about Raylo;

It feels like Raylo is trying to do leasing, without any of the benefits of leasing. Or (close to) the pricing of Ownership, without being able to own.

For me, personally, I can’t see an upside that someone else doesn’t already do better, in someway.

2 Likes

I definitely do, we are obviously falling short in terms of how we communicate what we do, which was why I wanted feedback here in the first place, and I definitely got it! We started this because the networks do create smoke and mirrors with bundled deals, added extras, tons of “plans”, this is where we feel we are more transparent and offer more simplicity, no hidden fees, very few plans, consistent and predictable pricing every month plus excellent customer service when you need it.

We want to show people how decoupling phone and sim (sim-free) gives a lot more control and savings over network bundled deals. Offers like “unlimited data” can be seriously misleading considering 90% of UK consumers use less than 4GB per month. edit - UK consumers use 2.9GB per mobile connection in an average month.

On the note of reselling devices on ebay, the fact that there are 10s of millions of devices sitting in drawers across the UK would tell us a tiny percentage of people want to do this - why? because it’s painful. This is something else we address by taking the device back and giving you a new one when you need it.

But I get we aren’t getting this across as best we could.

2 Likes

That seems awfully low, are you sure about that?

Data like this interests me so have you got a link to your source please? :nerd_face:

Yes, its from Ofcoms 2019 report, and Im wrong, its actually 2.9GB per month.

This is the issue, people think they need way more than that.

EDIT - more on how much data people pay for and dont use here : https://www.uswitch.com/media-centre/2018/02/data-sink-143-million-gigabytes-mobile-data-unused-customers-every-month/

1 Like

Ahh cool thanks for that :smiley: If i was to be pedantic, it doesn’t say 90%, it says that this is the average :stuck_out_tongue:

Usage is up a lot too from the year before, it will be intresting to see how 5G has an impact on this too.

1 Like

My mistake, need that morning coffee… you can see what I mean though? People dont need big data deals like they think they do…

Uswitch - “Confusion is adding to the issue – a fifth (21%) of mobile customers are unaware of how much allowance is included in their package[2]. Concerningly, this rises to a quarter (26%) of over 55s who don’t know what they are paying for in their contracts[2]. Older mobile users who pay for a tariff that includes data are also far more likely (32%) than the average customer (26%) to be in the dark about how much data they are using[3].”

“With so many customers not keeping track of their data usage, there’s a concern that the third (31%) of customers with data in their packages that are using less than 1GB of data every month are just the tip of the iceberg.”

And that’s why I switched to https://zevvle.com/ :wink:

Yeah it shocked me which is why I asked :open_mouth:

Thinking out loud I do connect to a lot of public WiFi points, WiFi at home, at work, at friends etc etc so that might be why it’s so low.

Then on the flip side of ordering too much data, I guess a people want spare data for emergencies? :man_shrugging:

Spot on, more on SIM-free here for anyone that might be interested: https://www.raylo.com/blog/what-are-sim-free-phones

This is the advantage of Smarty. You only pay for the data you use, and can buy more at £1.25/GB.

People have fear about going over the limit because the networks (needlessly) hit you with fees if you do so. Works perfectly for them.

1 Like