[Q&A] Ask us about Pulse!

There could be an option to have it on its own screen or where it is now (or both).

2 Likes

Maybe Immersive mode? I think the back key is already substituted on top for everything.

2 Likes

Or maybe ya know just a toggle for on/off or move it to another tab at the bottom maybe.

2 Likes

My problem is, Pulse doesn’t seem to have any relationship to my account balance: balance goes up over £400 despite only transferring in £200 that day… Then drops back again. Quite unhelpful.

Did you already have £200+ in your account? If not, that’s a bug so it’s worth reporting via the in-app chat so that the team can look into it.

1 Like

If the Pulse is going to be a permanent fixture on the Home screen, thereby reducing space for displaying transactions, why not make room elsewhere for a full screen’s worth of Transactions instead?

Similar to the way the Payments screen can be toggled to view Send or Request information, why not make the Spending screen have options to toggle between viewing All Transactions and Grouped Transactions?

3 Likes

Can you please make a toggle in the app to get rid of the transaction list? I can see why some people might find it useful but I don’t see that I’m ever going to use it!

It takes up an awful lot of space (that could be used to see the pulse graph better) and unless I think someone has stolen my card details then why would I ever want to see a list of my transactions? I know my transactions, I only just made them and I’ve already had a push notification about them. If I want to see a list of transactions then I’ll export a statement.

18 Likes

This solution sounds much more practical, I would vote for this!

+1 for this

+1 for this over Apple Pay

1 Like

who needs apple pay ???

2 Likes

I’d prefer Fitbit pay for the Fitbit I don’t have tbh :man_cartwheeling:

2 Likes

I think we probably all needed a bit of light relief here :wink: but now that we’ve had it, lets get back to sharing feedback please.

1 Like

I know @tommy5dollar is being incredibly sarcastic here, but I get why. It would be a bit ridiculous to ask for a toggle on absolutely every feature.

From my perspective, as a customer and UI designer, it does take up a significant amount of screen height for something that a lot of people don’t fully utilise or even want at all. As opposed to a toggle, I would suggest keeping it enabled for everyone but mostly hidden above the top of the viewport. Still keep the current balance and daily spending visible, but allow the pulse to be pulled down with a thumb swipe.

Although from a UX perspective, the less steps a user has to take to find the information they’re looking for the better. It’s a tricky balance but I personally don’t think that one extra step for something with such little use is that much of hinderance.

The other option may be to only show when the phone has been rotated to landscape mode, kind of similar to how ClearScore works with the timeline on their mobile app.

3 Likes

I’ve seen the presentation from Zander recently about redesigning spending.

For me, if you’re going to have a new ‘breakdown’ page to help manage money on a monthly basis using a colour coded dial, so using your monthly wage at the start of a custom period ultimately and then helping you stay in the black before your next paycheck, which is what the spending/targets was designed to do for the pre-paid card, then the only thing Pulse is good for is the visual representation of how my balance has fluctuated over the past month. And I don’t think, going by many people’s responses, that there’s much demand for that. It’s nice but the colour coded dial is so much more useful.

Saying that I do like the design of the pulse and quite like it as a visual of what’s come out when in the month. It’s also nice to be able to see previous months but it’s nothing more than that really, it doesn’t add to my ability to manage my money, and I really don’t like the box that gives the balance and the amount spent on that day. It obstructs the view of the main account balance and spent today figures which I believe you should be able to view at all times. The main point is it looks nice but doesn’t add anything to my ability to manage my money, which is what the Monzo app is all about.

If you wanted to keep the functionality of going back through your feed and being shown your ‘account balance’ and ‘spent today’ then that I think could potentially be added to the grey date bar in the transaction feed. So it may say Tuesday 13th Feb, then balance at that date - £300 and then spent that day - £21.20. You’d then be able to remove the annoying box.

1 Like

I was being sarcastic but the more I thought about it the more serious I became. Pulse graph means you can only see around 8 transactions on your screen rather than 10. How often do people realistically need to see their 9th and 10th most recent transactions at a glance? What even are the use cases for checking your most recent transactions unless you think one is erroneous?

4 Likes

It shows you when as well as if you’re going to run out of money before the end of the month, if you keep spending at the same rate.

And not all users use the Targets.

I also use it to quickly scroll back to days when I spent more than usual (generally to see when my budgeting went down hill :wink:) & to scroll between months.

3 Likes

Well on that basis there should be a toggle of the pulse, the transaction feed and if the feed is enabled allow us to define the number of most recent transactions displayed.

I can see four

1 Like

How does it show when and if at the moment?

It’s just a line for me, nothing more. There’s no colour coding system like the dial will show or even a projected future line.

Not all users use targets but they will be available to all soon I’m sure and ultimately Monzo will be building things with this in mind.

You could still use it in that way with my changes, I just don’t like seeing the box come up and think the information could be elsewhere on the feed

1 Like

It’s there to signify a trend

A visual aid to determine the upwards or downward trend of your balance

It’s not a definitive tool for identifying your day to day expenses

Onece you determine something is not right then you can start looking at the transactions

1 Like

A dial or indicator