POLL: Card Colour

Definitely concur that there should be a choice of 5 colours originating from the Monzo logo.

Additionally the hot coral seems off brand, at least the redder colour in the logo is a bit more on brand.

3 Likes

disagreeā€¦our brand is our coral card, more so than our logo

4 Likes

Ive never ever everā€¦ever been complimented , questioned , on my Lloyds green card , or my blue Halifax Clarity card - mind you nobody really sees my halifax card nowadays with the FX rates of Monzo :slight_smile: - Monzo is going to be a bit like the Nike symbol - and they have never considered changing that symbol to a ā€¦ because its instantly recognisable

4 Likes

Iā€™m not at all fussed with Apple/Android Pay anyway. I much prefer cards,so for me the color is important,and the coral is cheeky and good fun and not stuffy. It looks good fun.

2 Likes

I voted for navy colour card :credit_card: however I would love to have the hot coral colour on the back marking :mondo: heritage and were it came from.

I voted Coral, though I would 100% get behind a Triplex Navy card like the one @Sam shared in the Donā€™t Go threadā€¦

The coral edge looks awesome on the Navy Version

Edited for clarity.

With three dark blue and navy cards in my wallet that is the last thing I want another card I can not tell which one it is at a glanceā€¦give me coral card any day for quick speedy identification

1 Like

Have you clicked on the post I shared from Sam? you will 100% be able to tell a Tripllex style card apartā€¦

Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m fully behind Team Coral, but I could be swayed by a Triplex Navy card.

1 Like

I have trouble differentiating between different shades of blue so would rather it coral, salmon, orange, yellow, any colour other than a dark blue. I prefer something bright, but one colour I like is now out of the running for Monzo as Starling are using it.

Yeah, but what I mean is that the Triplex card has the bright Coral strip around the outsideā€¦

Another benefit of the coral colour is that itā€™s easier to see in low light after being dropped. Still not possible if completely dark though. Would need a luminescent coating for that.

1 Like

unless you were under fluorescent lights in a place like a discotheque :slight_smile: - where it would glow :slight_smile:

1 Like

With Apple Pay is it possible to give someone the choice of what their card looks like in the digital wallet?

No, the image for the digital card stored in the phone is taken with the camera. Itā€™s built in as a way of reducing the amount of manual input of card details for the user.

Technically, it should be. The card background is just an image in what is effectively a signed zip file that gets built for each update of a card for a particular device just as a regular Wallet pass.

Any problems would either be in policy or if Iā€™m wrong about who in the chain builds and signs the final file.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s quite right as itā€™s definitely not a picture. It gets the details via an image but I donā€™t believe thatā€™s stored.

It seems like something that shouldnā€™t be a problem but Apple does have some weird policies at times. I can understand not allowing an animated version or users to add an image but a level of customisation would be nice.

Two different cards from the same account would be nice. Then I could have one that is automatically billed as an expense and another for personal.

By picture, I donā€™t mean photo. Iā€™m not completely sure how Apple do it, Iā€™d assume connecting to the bankā€™s general Apple Pay API to obtain the signed zip as @RichardR said. The camera is used to obtain the information to tell your phone which bank to connect to.

If the vector image of the card is drawn on the phone, and I think it might after looking at their documentation, then hopefully Apple have opened up that area of the OS to third party app extensions.

1 Like

You are right Ben, its part of the Bank onboarding to ApplePay (which is actually done via Visa and Mastercard rather than a link between the bank and Apple).

Onboarding and configuration to ApplePay is run as projects involving the bank and the card scheme (visa, mastercard) involving configuration and testing.

1 Like

Given the (very likely) assumption that Monzo does not, and never will, actually manufacture the cards themselves, would it actually cost them anything to offer a choice? Some other banks do. In fact iā€™m given to understand that itā€™s a standard thing in some parts of the world.

1 Like

Just re-floating a previous idea that I came up with and may satisfy some of us

From the vending machine, you could choose from a variety of available colours, or even print your own colour or photo ey? :wink:

Personally though, I still opt for a bright and eye-catching card and I love the hot coral colour.