PayPal or VISA/MasterCards chargeback scheme?

PayPal was made to make online transactions safer, but when paying with transactions you also give up the right to a chargeback with your card provider, therefore my question is. Do you use PayPal over paying with your card?

I deleted my PayPal account.

After working at a start up that predominantly traded with eBay and PayPal, I’d never use either service again.

1 Like

Why is that?

They’re a monopoly and they know it. They’re unhelpful, they’re not interested in a companies point of view. They disregard selling regulations often. They’re arrogant self centred arseholes who often refuse to help when faced with genuine concerns. There fees are too high.

They treat companies like crap because there’s nowhere else to go. They’re as bad as Amazon, I never thought I’d say that about anyone.

3 Likes

There is no doubt that PayPal is big and it seems to me that according to you PayPal is bad for the merchant and often judges in favour of the consumer, am I right? Therefore, making it more safe than relying on VISA/MasterCard to handle the occesional chargeback?

Shred of evidence and you’ll win everytime.

Essentially the merchant has to reach a solution before PayPal or eBay does otherwise their metrics will take a hit.

Essentially the merchant will payout regardless of fault because the opposite is akin to SEO suicide.

If a buyer claims an item is not as described there’s no cover for the seller

and

I lost £1,165 to eBay fraudster when selling my electric guitar

I really wouldn’t want to use Paypal if i could help it.

PayPal are horrendous, I used to use them to receive payments for my webhosting business but have had several issues with them and eBay I did have a PayPal Buiness account but now it is just left dormant and moved all payments to stripe.com

1 Like

Can you use Stripe as an individual? Could I set up an account on their site where people could go and pay me?

I share the same feelings as others being an eBay seller forced to use PayPal, but paying with PayPal you can still open a chargeback with your card issuer if you so want.

PayPal simply states you can only do one or the other, meaning after you open a dispute with PayPal you promise to not also attempt a Visa/MC dispute or if you open a chargeback, PayPal won’t let you then open a dispute using paypal’s system.

In the same way if you open a dispute with eBay you can’t then open one with PayPal or vice-versa. A loophole seems to exist in that you can open a dispute with eBay and also a chargeback with your card issuer

Also to point out as happened to me a few years ago so may be different, I went through the claims process with PayPal was told I needed to wait 180 days as PayPal would continue to attempt payment from seller, only find out this was so I didn’t contact bank as they only keep card transactions for 180 days

I believe you can but don’t know how it would work with links etc

1 Like

That can very well happen, they may have a reputation of favouring buyers, but first of all they care about themselves

I sold on eBay as a private seller an the guy wanted to return the item, I said no because I don’t have to accept the return. (that’s the law with private sellers even online)

He then opened a case on PayPal item significantly not as described and PayPal ruled in his favour, luckily they accepted my appeal as I sent them screenshots of his request to return ‘because he didn’t want it’ no mention of not as described.

But it’s beggars belief how easy PayPal will just rule in the buyers favour.

At least I had his address as I could then take him to small claims court if they would have rejected my appeal.

Never listed anything on eBay again, the stress of losing all that money for absolutely nothing.

1 Like

Sellers like you are what ruins it though. Taking someone to small claims court purely because you did not want to accept a return?

What’s the issue, really? Even if you don’t accept it it seems like as a seller you’re just doing the legal minimum and using threats of the law to avoid the slight inconvenience of selling it again. It’s really pathetic and I cannot stand sellers with this attitude and I’m glad PayPal etc. rule in favour of the buyers in these cases.

Are you serious? If an item is listed as not accepting returns, there is no obligation for the seller to accept it back. There are many reasons a private seller might not want an item returned. Abusing the PayPal protection system is not acceptable when you’re told that the sale is final.

8 Likes

Why cant the buyer just sell it again if it’s such a mild inconvenience?

3 Likes

Maybe they’ve never sold anything - and it’s obviously not as simple as you just clicking relist is it…

Once an item has been sold and sent, its not as simple as that for the seller either.

2 Likes

So, let’s be hypothetical, if someone bought your car and drove it for 20 miles decided they didn’t like it and brought it back, you’d go get that 5k back out your bank and give it back to them?

No time like the present to learn more skills.

1 Like