Payment gone through twice

Thanks Nick - this is exactly what I’ve done. I’ve sent them a screenshot of my bank statement showing the payment going out twice, I’ve sent all the information for the two payments I’ve received from Monzo which shows the transactions numbers and two different authorisation codes. Since acknowledging one payment and sending them proof of the second, they have not responded to any of my emails. I have tried ringing, but as I don’t speak Italian I have been unable to get past the automated message to speak to someone.

I honestly don’t think I’ll get the money back from them. My frustration, I think, is understandable in that no one seems to want to return my money that has been overpaid. I’m not saying its Monzo’s fault, merely thay they tell me one thing, I. E. To wait until the money is actuky taken as they can’t do anything until then, and then when it has been taken saying they can’t do anything as its gone through, and then saying they can’t do anything until I have a response from them. I completely understand their reasoning, but I think I’m allowed to feel frustrated by it.

I spoke with a lovely adviser early and have sent him all the emails and he is now looking into this. In the meantime Monzo have given me £30 by way of apology for their handling of this

3 Likes

I have just this minute received a message from Monzo saying they are raising a dispute with the Merchant. They confirmed that they believe I have done all I can to recover the funds myself, and that the Merchant is clearly not looking to refund the money

5 Likes

Just for a bit of background here (I’m away on holiday, so not at work!) but there’s a few things going on here.

Firstly, if a payment is pending then we can look at reversing transactions - but this depends on a variety of things, including the value of the transaction, how long since it was made, etc. With Tesco we see a few duplicate transactions and we know this is an issue that we’re currently working on.

Once a payment has been taken (presented) then we can’t just reverse the transaction. The best course of action is ALWAYS to get a refund from the merchant because it’s a lot quicker than going through the MasterCard chargeback process.

A chargeback process with MasterCard can take up to 3 months, and the requirements mean that we have to give the merchant up to 14 days to refund you. If it becomes clear that the merchant isn’t responding, or they’re refusing to issue a refund then the process can be started earlier.

We will always do our best to help each and every customer and I know first hand how frustrating this sort of situation is. However to make sure we have the best chance of getting your money back, we have to follow the guidelines. This is one of the reasons we make it absolutely clear that you should correspond with the merchant via email or another written form of communication. The more written confirmation you’ve got, the stronger your case will be.

I hope this makes sense - I obviously can’t comment on any specific cases, but if anybody has any general questions I’m happy to answer (to the best of my knowledge etc etc)

12 Likes

Glad that, four hours since you posted, this has moved to the next, correct step. Hope it all works out for you.

5 Likes

Hi,
I posted in November regarding a payment going through twice to the Police in Italy for payment of a ZTL fine.
I tried to pay and when pressed confirm payment received a message saying “transaction timed out, please try again”. Promptly tried again 2 minutes later, all went through ok. Checked my account, and the payment had been taken twice.

Raised the issue with ZTL who said they had only received one payment, raised the issue with Monzo who said i had to wait to see if the money is taken.

In any event, we are some 7 weeks on and i still haven’t received my money back. Monzo are waiting to see if the merchant dispute the payment, if they do, we then have to give another 45 days for them to give evidence as to why it is disputed.

I am beginning to feel like I will never get my money back!!

Hi Helen, I’ve merged your new thread with the one you created before

Unfortunately the chargeback procedure can be long depending on the merchant

1 Like

Is it not just a case of getting ZTL to put in writing that only 1 payment was taken and there is no outstanding balance on your account with them so they have no intention of claiming?

I’ve read of cases where Monzo will then give you the money back on the premise that if they do try to claim it, they will take it back from your account.

Unfortunately not - Monzo have copies of all emails sent/received, including the one where they say only one payment has been received by them and they consider the matter closed…Monzo have supplied me with the transaction numbers and authorisation codes for both transactions, but still have to wait 45 days for ZTL to respond, and then wait even further if they dispute the claim!

So, today i have received an email from the ZTL/Police stating that “we inform you that the double payment will returned by banks. We don’t know how to qualify, we hope in a couple of months”

I am assuming that this means they are returning the money, but, i cannot wait a couple of months for this to be returned. I have already waited 3 which has caused me financial hardship and meant i have had to borrow money!!

I have gone on Chat with Monzo who have said i have to wait and see what they will do. I have waited since November 14th, they have my money, Monzo know they have my money, Monzo know this has been taken twice hence the Backcharge - why can’t Monzo just put the money back in my account and then go through the motions of waiting to see what happens!!! i am getting so frustrated with this - if i owed Monzo £1.00 i am sure being told to wait a few months would not sit well with them!

Well they just wont do that if the give you the money and it did not go throw they would loss it or they would have to re take it back from you witch could case you issues but if they see what happens then at least they know. I know it take for ever but is it not best that way.

I believe all of this was explained earlier in the topic. If there is a part that you need clarifying let me know and I’ll do my best to help :slight_smile:

As for the issue as a whole. Nobody on here can help I’m afraid - in app chat is the best place to resolve this.

Monzo know it has gone through twice, hence starting the chargeback, they have given me all the details for both transactions and confirmed the ZTL has taken it twice…
ZTL have now sent an email confirming there is a double payment, so why should I have to wait months for a refund, when i have already waited 3 months?

I still think you’re shaking the stick at the wrong person. I hope you’re giving ZTL the same level (if not more) grief since it was their payment system that took two payments in the first place.

They could sort all of this a lot quicker and easier than Monzo since it’s their mistake, but from what you’re saying they’re not even trying to help - unlike Monzo.

Trust me, ZTL have been having it both barrels - a lot more so than Monzo. I am just frustrated that i am out of pocket and seem to have to wait for months to get it returned. My issue with Monzo is i was told i had to wait for ZTL to actually take the money before they could do anything, fair enough, then when they took the money i was told i had to wait 8 days to see if they return it, fair enough, then when it wasn’t returned, i had to wait for up to 3 months for a chargeback. I get these are the rules, and i get that Monzo are following these rules.

I also think that i am perfectly entitled to be annoyed at the whole process when i am the one out of pocket!

1 Like

You certainly are and I can empathise with it to a degree. However as people keep telling you, here isn’t the place for this so sadly you’re wasting your time. This is because we’re all customers just like you.

You’d be better served directing all of this in app or opening a formal complaint. Again, through the app :slight_smile:

I’m venting, i feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. I’ve done nothing wrong, i am out of pocket -
Monzo are indeed trying to help and i appreciate that, ZTL are doing nothing and are being treated to 4+ per week emails from myself asking for an update as to when my money will be returned.
I was under the impression that Monzo also comment/help on this forum, and that a forum is indeed for discussing issues and not necessarily expecting an official outcome, but more to put experiences across and gain help from that!

3 Likes

Sometimes they do but they can’t for account specific issues like this so they’ll direct you to the app.

What are you wanting to discuss? I’ve looked at your last few comments and you haven’t asked any questions, it’s more of just a log of what you’ve said/done. Apologies if I’ve missed this.

Issues like this make people fill like they stuck and do not know what to do I hope you get this sorted fast.

What? Have you just commented for the sake of it again?

They’ve had a super detailed explanation from someone at Monzo as well as many others on the entire process. What to do, how long it takes, why it works that way and everything inbetween. I really hope she does understand now but if not that is why I was asking the question of what needs to be clarified.

As I said it’s more of a vent as I seem to have nowhere to turn… I’m hoping by posting updates that someone is able to comment with a similar situation and say how that turned out to at least give me some hope of getting my money back

1 Like