Our Plans to Close the Monzo Prepaid Cards

FUD - fear, uncertainty and doubt (if anyone is wondering)

@Craigcfc7 - unnamed cards will be back.

1 Like

Wasn’t there a lengthy discussion elsewhere on the community about card acceptance being a problem, and the lack of a person’s real name not printed on the card being a contributing factor?

Or am I mistaken?

I would of never expected a merchant’s member of staff to be skimming names off a card, and isn’t it now against the merchant’s T&C with their acquirer to be physically handling customers cards?

2 Likes

You’re not mistaken. There are certain uses of the card where not having the name on will be a problem. I think car hire was one example. And some years back I experienced a few meals out where the restauant staff didn’t always manage to cope gracefully with most of the party wanting to pay using their, then nameless, Monzo cards.

1 Like

This appears to be the opposite of what was has been discussed on Facebook, which answer is true?

Link: If you're a prepaid card holder, you'll need to upgrade to a current account soon 🕐 But don't worry. It only takes a few minutes to setup. And you'll... | By Monzo | Facebook

3 Likes

Come on, like it or lump it is not a choice

We’ll find a solution for existing prepaid customers which will be along these lines but this may be very manual and won’t be rolled out to new customers this quarter :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

What don’t you like about it?

I resent that it isn’t my choice.

1 Like

To massively simplify: You signed up for a beta product, now they’ve set up the real thing they’re asking people to move over. The “real thing” has all the features of the “beta” plus some more. What is the objection to moving yourself over? Just that you have to do something, anything? Would you be happy if they automatically moved you over and let you keep the card you already have (which is technically impossible, but let’s imagine)?

7 Likes

I think like-for-like migrations (where the users do not lose any features) are one of those things where the people unhappy with it will be unhappy regardless of how soft the transition is, so it’s actually better to be a bit more forceful / harder.

1 Like

I resent that it isn’t my choice.

Don’t be aggro. I just said it was a pity because I really like the app but don’t want a current account with monzo yet. Banking is pretty personal and sensitive data, I’m entitled to my reservations

They already have all your information you’re not going to be giving them anymore than now.

7 Likes

But I do not want this. The whole reason I went to Monzo was for the prepaid cards. Can I please keep this feature?

It’s the the prepaid card with the same and more features with a new name. You can have current accounts with many banks at one time it’ makes no difference

1 Like

you are welcome not to upgrade to the current account…but the prepaid accounts are being closed.

Just think of it this way, if you decline the current account you are welcome to keep your prepaid card…but it will be “upgraded” into a compact pocket sized hi-vis snow scraper you can keep in your car glovebox for winter…as it will lose any banking functionality

10 Likes

I resent not being given the choice as to whether to scrape my car or not

2 Likes

I’m just trying to get to the bottom of why you don’t like a thing which is effectively identical to a thing which you do like.
Is it just the label “current account” vs. “prepaid card”?
Is it the presence of a sort code and account number makes it feel more “banky”? And what does “bankiness” burden you with in your view if so?
You are indeed entitled to your reservations, but I am just confused as to what they actually are.

15 Likes

I might as well say “I resent not being given the choice as to whether to buy Phileas Fogg tortilla chips made from the 1980s recipie or not.”

I mean, I bloody loved those chips, and the alterations made to the recipie in the '90s were awful, and it was a sad day when they were finally taken off the shelves.

But.

A business offers a product. You can choose to purchase it or not. A business stops offering a product and introduces an alternative. That is their right, and then your choice is to use the alternative or stop. And sometimes, they just stop offering a product full-stop, and that’s capitalism.

In any case, the point is you do have a choice. You might not fancy the options offered, but its still a choice. And you can’t force anyone to offer you the original choice again (otherwise I’d very much like some original recipie Phileas Fogg tortilla chips again, please).

2 Likes

seems like it’s unlikely you’re going to patronise anyone into changing their mind about this