Our Plans to Close the Monzo Prepaid Cards

The prepaid programe whas the reason I joined.It was a great card.It is now obvious it was only loss leader to suck people in.When or if it goes then so will I and hundreds of others

1 Like

Pre paid is going on April the 4th - not long to wait :slight_smile: sign ups for the current account are approaching 500,000 :slight_smile: I agree 100s won’t like what is in effect the same card - weird eh ?

The CA can be used in exactly the same way as the prepaid, and be cheaper for Monzo to run as their processors are now built in house rather than having to pay for the services of wire card (???)

"why not use potts or jars to put savings in " great feedback , its been suggested quite a few times, hopefully Monzo will take note and maybe give the ability to write some rules for your account - i.e. when the coin jar reaches x feed these into savings account A , or every week sweep coin jar into savings account A etc etc

9 Likes

It’s still essentially the same great card, usable in exactly the same way, but with additional great features and all in a financially sustainable way which is where the prepaid cards falls short.

Fair enough if you don’t want Monzo as your main current account. Just make it a secondary one. Although by the end of the year, most people in this situation will probably wanna switch over completely.

2 Likes

It is essentially the same card with the exception of a small charge when drawing down at a ATM over £200 cash ([edited for clarity] 3% of the transaction) in a 30 day period

Can be employed in exactly the same way as before

4 Likes

just as prepaid cards had the fees and limits introduced in Dec / Jan ???

edited - fees and limits were introduced for both cards on 4th Jan

3 Likes

I aggree but the prepaid element is going.
The banking side still falls short of other app based banks.There is also other good simple prepaid cards available.
The anoying thing is that MONZO knew it had no intentions of keeping the card but used it as a vehicle to suck people into opening standard bank accounts.l personaly want a bank to not only provide a good service but a return on my money ie intrest cash back etc.

Yes they knew and made it clear to card holders that the current account was the goal from the start. It was never a marketing ploy designed to entice users but actually used as a means of beta testing the same features that are available on the current account.

Do you not notice the frequent outages of the payment processor on the prepaid program? It may have gotten better, but was pretty much every week back in the day. Now on the current account, because they’ve built from scratch and vigorously tested their own payments processor, it’s infinitely more reliable. Zero outages from day one of switchover.

3 Likes

Monzo were always open that the pre-paid card was a limited-time concept to see how potential customers wanted to use their app and current account. I knew that when I joined the beta programme before you in March 2016. They envisaged around 5,000–10,000 cards overall, but found sign-ups went unexpectedly viral and were soon sending out hundreds of thousands of cards.

Do you seriously expect any company, when faced with completely unforeseen and truly rare explosive viral growth to stop it and say, “No. This is a beta trial, we don’t want to be accused of ‘sucking people in’. We’ll reset to zero and try to recruit customers some other way”?

I’m sorry if this explanation of events doesn’t fit with whatever warped point you’re trying to make.

5 Likes

a “small charge” sounds like a fixed fee. To clarify, Monzo have to pay on average about 1% on any cash withdrawals in Europe, 2% elsewhere, and have therefore introduced a 3% charge to cover their costs. How ‘small’ the charge will be depends on how much you withdraw, as being a percentage the more you withdraw the bigger the charge.

2 Likes

fixed fee - at 3% :slight_smile: …but getting back to the coin jar feedback thread …tooo many notifications in my feed showing pigs

1 Like

Intresting that you descibe my diferent point of view as “warped.” I thought the ethos of the forum was to exchange ideas and opinions, not to be rude and trade insults.
That says it all about your community obectivity .

1 Like

I may have missed something during the sign up, but although I knew Monzo wanted to be a bank, I wasn’t aware when I signed up for the prepaid that it would disappear.

It makes very little difference to me that the prepaid is going, but for those who only wanted a prepaid card, I can see why they are disappointed.

2 Likes

OK, maybe not during the signup process however I have been an active community member since August 2016 and I do remember frequently seeing reminders across the community that the prepaid card is only a test which will end shortly after they gained their banking license and launch the current account.

EDIT: I think this discussion warrants it’s own thread as it’s gone way off topic for too long. I don’t yet have the power to split topics… @alexs lol

1 Like

What US company would this be?

Also the US has tons of valid ID - far more than here. Just a few:

• Tribal ID
  • NEXUS
  • SENTRI
  • US Passport Card (not a passport in any way, it’s a national ID card)

There’s a few unique ones of many.

Plus, regardless, no US company as far as I know.

1 Like

I know I have said it before but I really can’t wait for the prepay card to go, all this chat is pointless.

It’s going end of.

12 Likes

I upgraded my pre paid card to the debit straight away, received my card and did the video authentication. But recently I’m getting warning emails to upgrade (as if my upgrade actions didn’t exist) and if I don’t I won’t be able to access my funds. I was about to start the process again but as I’m about to go abroad tomorrow I need my new card to continue to wrk. What should I do regarding the upgrade - continue to do it Again OR assume that my new monzo card and account will work regardless of email warnings.
Thanks
X

i would ask the question with customer support in the in app chat and they will give you the definitive answer :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve had a Monzo card since August 2016. I didn’t know that there was a community until Monzo sent me an email informing me that the community had voted on the ATM fees. The proportion of users who are members of this forum is very small, and so they would not have necessarily been aware that the prepaid card was going to close (in fact, I have just checked my upgrade invitation email, and it’s not mentioned there either).

Anyway, as @anon72173902 mentioned; it’s going, whatever any user or forum member, wants or thinks.

4 Likes

It wasn’t :slight_smile:

Ironically…

1 Like