Our new custom icons 🎉

Hey everyone :wave:

It’s been a while since my last visit but I thought I’d come back to help give a little bit of context to our new custom app icons :tada:

As you might’ve seen, the latest app release (5.23.0) includes a range of new custom app icons. For all users, there will be updates to the Pride and Black Culture icons and there will additionally be a new Stand with Ukraine icon.

Other new icons include Business Lite and Business Pro for Lite/Pro Business accounts. If you have Plus, Premium, or are an Alpha, Beta, or Investor user – you will see refreshed versions of the old icons. It’s worth noting that all older icons will no longer be available (apologies if you were in love with something from the old set!). As for getting a new icon, simply head to ‘settings’ within the app to check out the selection.

Shout out to our engineers @allanspreys and @DanielCoutts for all your hard work behind the scenes getting these icons into the app!

And finally, I’d love to hear any ideas you might have for future custom app icons. If there’s something you feel strongly about and there’s a good case for it, we’d love to make it happen.

14 Likes

The new app icons have just landed and they look fantastic!! Nice work Monzo team!

10 Likes

I can think of one more they should add

5 Likes

I find this “you’re all set” screen to be redundant

7 Likes

I just remembered Siri Shortcuts exist :duck:

11 Likes

Fun fact: changing the Monzo logo doesn’t change it in Spotlight

2 Likes

It does!

3 Likes

Does it change for Apple Wallet Transactions?

2 Likes

huh doesn’t change for me either

Edit: rebooted, Spotlight shows the new logo now

2 Likes

Nope. Those are submitted separately. They haven’t even updated the Wallet one to the new logo yet!

3 Likes

Huh, could just be a bug. I’m updating to iOS 16.5 I’ll see if it’s fixed

Edit: it did fix it:

2 Likes

They took away the light background icon, why?

1 Like

Just to be clear, the bug* itself still exists in 16.5

But by way of updating, it has the side effect of deploying the workaround to fix it.

Equally, you can just wait and the system will catch up at some point. But restarting your phone forces it (and updating involves restarting your phone).

*im not sure it’s even a bug. It’s just the way iOS indexes and caches stuff. The regular app icon will change right away, but any interface element tied to the proactive siri update from years ago (such as Siri suggestions or the large tiles in App Library) will need to wait for the system to catch up and refresh whenever it next indexes.

2 Likes

Ah, that makes sense, as it’s slow to update the UI Cache

1 Like

iOS also has a separate cache for the teeny tiny icons in app folders on your home screen, as I found out when Wise updated their app with the new branding and it still showed the blue icon in the collapsed folder for ages. So yeah may take a while to fully be reflected across the whole system.

There was also an issue with the business account icons not showing straight away, I enquired on Twitter and apparently there was something wrong on Monzo’s end they had to fix to make them available. I’m now using the white business Lite icon.

3 Likes

I also support the current thing!

2 Likes

They have, I asked this question a few weeks ago and was told you just have to remove and re-add the card to the wallet app?

2 Likes

That’s not true. And just to be certain, I’ve tested it. Removed and re-added my Monzo card. Bought the melmetal event ticket in Pokémon go using Apple Pay. Still the old logo.

2 Likes

Yes, it is…

1 Like

Brought the discussion here for the new custom app icons :blush:

4 Likes