Option to kill the card carousel

I think I read that the card carousel is going away, with the addition of Feed and Manage tabs? It would be nice if a young, enterprising front end engineer would just create a lab to let people go do this right now… After years with that card carousel I still find it confusing and hate using it. Just keep it simple and pop straight out into the list of accounts!

Who said it was going anywhere? The blue buttons will go as they’re a double up but I’ve not seen anything about the carousel.

I never use it tbh, I much prefer the list view.

2 Likes

Same, don’t think I’ve ever used it but it doesn’t bother me that it’s there, can just ignore it

2 Likes

That’s distressing to hear. Well, all the more reason for said enterprising engineer to add an option to kill it! Just stick one if statement around that page element, and pop out into the list view if you do that same hard scroll off the top action. Solved :laughing:.

1 Like

What is the benefit of the carousel?

Genuine question.

2 Likes

If you put your favourite/most used pot or pots directly to the right of the account, it’s much quicker to swipe between your account and favourite pot and back.

I also use the tap on the home tab icon all the time to quickly scroll back to my account, and a second tap if I want to scroll to my joint account. I don’t think these quick scroll animations would make sense without the card carousel, but that could presumably be addressed somehow.

I’m not saying I would oppose a different interface, but these are the ways I find the card carousel useful. Other times I just go to the list, it’s nice to have both.

5 Likes

I’ve given this some thought, and this would be my dream implementation:

1. Kill the carousel. They’re so 2009. Yuck.

2. Focus on the list and improve that. There’s so much more they could do with a list view than a carousel (does anybody else hate typing that word or just me?).

3. Add a drag and drop transfer feature to the list.

That’s as far as my thoughts go for now. Got a bit too excited at the realisation the list view could just as easily worth with drag and drop transfers as a dedicated pots view could, and now I can’t think about anything else!

5 Likes

Whilst I don’t recall seeing any mention of ditching it, I wouldn’t be upset if they did, I never use it. I reckon the majority of people that do use it only do so because they don’t realise you can drag down to get the list view.

1 Like

I hope that it’s not an issue of some senior designer who thought it up and now refuses to change their mind while all the underlings roll their eyes.

1 Like

Bit of a massive assumption there I think.

Ironically, I use it all the time because I just never got into the list approach which can be a lot quicker than multiple swipes.

3 Likes

I don’t think it will go anywhere unless there is a complete new redesign of the app and that probably isn’t needed.

Easy to just ignore it.

I would like my list to be the default view though.

1 Like

Same here.

2 Likes

I much prefer being shown my list of transactions as the default view. One of the best things about the Monzo app, immediately shows me the most useful information without having to tap into an account.

3 Likes

I prefer to open the app to my transactions.

Having two methods of getting to pots and other integrated bank accounts etc – carousel or via account list – is fine by me, and I tend to use them both interchangeably depending on mood. I’d be annoyed if one was removed in favour of the other.

1 Like

Team transactions here too. If I preferred lists I’d still be with a legacy bank.

Launching straight to your transaction feed is a surprisingly unique aspect tbh. Of all the banks I’ve used, the only other bank I recall that has your transaction list as the first screen you see when you launch the app was N26.

By my calculations that would make Monzo the last remaining bank (AFAIK, there could be others) to do things that way, so I hope it never changes. I love it.

2 Likes

The biggest issue for me is that the accounts list isn’t a tab. It really ought to be - that way, the tab could be remembered so you can open on either the transactions or accounts tab.

I mused a bit about what really needs to happen over here:

Here’s what I thought the accounts tab could look like:

3 Likes

Presumably Monzo will have figures for how many use the carousel and that’s what will guide their decisions

Presumably, though it may not paint the full picture.

I much prefer the list view for instance. But muscle memory has me forgetting it exists and swiping. Sometimes I just swipe because I find myself on the app for no reason and am bored. That, and muscle memory are the only reasons I use it.

1 Like

They will do. But I think this is one of those cases where I don’t think they should place too much stock in it.

Digital development - rightly - operates heavily on data. But sometimes that can go too far when actually you need direction or vision: not turning on statements that exclude pot transfers for personal customers is one example (there’s no data / user need so it doesn’t happen); a bold reimagining of the app is another. Data on carousel use could go some way to understand its current popularity, but nothing about future direction of the app, better alternatives, bold thoughts about how to become that elusive financial hub…

5 Likes

Exactly. It’s in prime position, easier to access than the list view, so you can’t compare the numbers directly.

1 Like