✅ Offer credit card 💳

It would be ideal if you could offer a credit card, I want to stop having to deal with HSBC altogether but need a credit card for travelling (hotels, hire cars etc)

Sounds like what you need is a great credit card that works kinda like monzo, the following may be of interest, I don’t think they are ready to ship just yet but everything I read sounds good.

1 Like

There’s Jaja as well which seems to be close-ish to launch.

https://joinbeta.jaja.co.uk?kid=RPEA5

Non-referal link: https://jaja.co.uk/

Starling are planning on launching one at some point this year too.

1 Like

@EmmaS I agree with you it would be great if Monzo offered a credit card. Unfortunately they have never given the impression it is in their plans.

What Monzo are testing at the moment (starting with Barclaycard) is providing the ability to view your 3rd party credit card balance within the Monzo app. I would hope this would eventually develop to allow you to view and track your credit card transactions within the Monzo app.

I’m curious why you use HSBC credit card as a travel credit card? HSBC cards don’t appear to have particularly good features for travel. The cards mentioned already in this thread would be good for travel due to absence of currency conversion fees, but they’re not out yet. In case you’re not aware of MSE, some recomendations for currently available travel credit cards can be seen here. Barclaycard may be a good bet if the idea of having a good travel credit card that might be viewable in the Monzo app in the coming months appeals to you.

3 Likes

If you are adding referral links, you must make clear they are explained as referral links.

7 Likes

If I could leave Tandem and PayPal Credit & just have a monzo card, that would be INCREDIBLE!
:heart:

Spotted :eyes:

Source - Monzo Open Office 30/04/2019
https://youtu.be/DQ5p1VGSJLY @ 24:03

21 Likes

Great find! Can’t wait to here more about this

I really missed out watching the open office stream.
The sooner the better, I dont particularly like have two apps for credit/debit cards. All in one app will cure my needs. I wonder how competitive they’ll be with rates and credit limits?

2 Likes

Rates don’t really matter though right? Just pay your balance in full :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’d recommend Tandem too. They have good app, good support, tiny cashback, no-fee foreign transactions. No Android pay, and they send paper statements… soon to be paperless.

A Monzo credit card would be great though!

2 Likes

What about offering a Mondo credit card, I know that Tom has said as a brand it’s only interested in current accounts but any chance of it happening in the future?

4 Likes

I think you answered your own question.

5 Likes

Currently it’s not going to happen only current personal only

It’s a bit of a bugbear of mine that banks have forced people to centre their thinking around financial products, rather than addressing the daily problems they’re trying to solve more directly.

So I’d like to understand the problems you’re trying to solve with a Credit Card?

Are you looking for short-term interest-free borrowing? Ie, a cashflow advantage? Or rewards/points/cashback on purchases? Or longer-term credit for buy bigger-ticket items? Or Consumer Credit Act protection?

Many of these problems are solvable without a credit card.

27 Likes

One of the reasons that everyone’s finances are in such a mess, everyone wants to give you a credit card. It’s a first world problem lol, how do they cope in the wilds of Africa without the little bit of plastic to flash?

1 Like

…hmmm :frowning2: not quite sure about this thought process Africa is a continent. and “Africa also has credit cards by the way”…

14 Likes

Any previews of new card :credit_card:

2 Likes

I’d guess for most people it’s the increasing costs of living mean they require additional money to live. Add to that increasing social pressure to do/have certain things and the icing on top being powerful consumer advertising and suddenly what is actually a reasonable salary looks pretty crap.

But enter the banks who are more than willing to aid you in this quest (for a fee) and will help you get extra cash (for a fee), so long as you don’t spend too much (but they will still let you, for a fee).

I’d love, LOVE, a bank that actually suggested things to make my life cheaper, because frankly that’s why people turn to credit and get into debt. Is my rent above average for my area? Am I using the best way to get to work? Are there Italian restaurants nearby that people on average spend less in that I might not know about?

Suddenly I don’t need a credit card and my salary is quite fine thank you very much.

OH.

Stop giving 18 year old’s £5,000 credit cards when they’ve just moved to London as a student. First hand experience of how that gets you into a world of problems 7,8 years later that they conveniently don’t tell you about.

I believe they’re called morals and ethics.

11 Likes

For me, the short-term borrowing to improve my cashflow is the solution I’m most interested in & obviously that will be addressed with the overdraft product.

Looking ahead, I expect I’ll end up wanting a credit card for rewards/points/cashback and although I can fund that card from my :mondo: current account (soon), to keep track of how much I’m spending on that card, I’d hate to lose the detailed transaction history, instant notifications, forecasting, budgeting etc. So if you could find a solution that either gets the account the data that’s needed to deliver those solutions or the rewards/points/cashback, that would be great!

I try to steer clear of making purchases for bigger-ticket items on credit. And I’ve never considered the benefits of consumer credit act protection in advance, I’ve only ever thought about it after something’s gone wrong and I’ve needed it, which happens very infrequently. But even then, it’s only saved me relatively small amounts of money.

4 Likes