Newspaper or internet?

How does everyone here read the news? And what paper or website/app do you use? I’m spending an hour on a Sunday morning here now reading the observer (for free) on Readly app. If buying a newspaper it is Sunday times. Weekdays is usually just bbc website.

1 Like

Weekdays: BBC News website and Guardian website.
Weekends: buy the Saturday Guardian and read it over the two days.

Additional: news stories I see linked here or Twitter.

I probably don’t have to buy the weekend Guardian, could read that online like the weekdays. But having a paper and a coffee and breakfast of a Saturday/Sunday morning has been a decades-long routine now, and taking the paper away would leave an unsatisfying lacuna.

The paper has changed over the years, would’ve been the Sunday Times when I started, and the Telegraph was in there somewhere too at one point (when I wasn’t always buying the papers myself), but it’s been the Guardian for a long time now.

5 Likes

I agree, I do love a weekend paper and a coffee.

3 Likes

Had to Google, but I like this word!

I haven’t bought a paper in years, I’ll read BBC News/Twitter.

I might read someone else’s paper if there’s one around but haven’t bought one in years.

4 Likes

I mostly get my news from Twitter. Sometimes I’ll check the BBC News site, and occasionally I’ll have a look on the Guardian. Haven’t bought a paper since the final printed edition of The Independent.

1 Like

I read the FT. Love it. Usually only online though because I can never work out how to comfortably read a physical broadsheet.

5 Likes

To comfortably read a physical broadsheet in any location, the answer is, in theory, folding. First you fold the page over (so you’re holding a single page width and not both pages), and then you fold the paper horizontally, so you’ve a top and bottom of the page to read.

In practice, I always found it to be a pain in the proverbial. So much folding and unfolding when trying to skim through a paper. So when I was a Sunday Times reader (and when the Guardian used the Berliner format), I went for the ‘spread the damn thing all over the kitchen table’ method instead :sweat_smile: Since the Guardian switched to tabloid format, it’s not been something I’ve had to think about, though.

4 Likes

I understand the theory, but putting it into practice doesn’t work for me!

2 Likes

I don’t usually read a lot of news on weekdays, but I typically read the morning briefing in The Guardian app or The Week website. On the weekend I read The Week (in print).

Apart from this I occasionally dip into the BBC website (particularly for Sport) or The Guardian app.

I pay a subscription for both The Guardian app and The Week magazine. I used to also subscribe to The Sunday Times print edition (which also gave online access to The Times during the week) but switched to subscribing to The Week.

I don’t like news feeds which are algorithmically constructed (e.g. Apple News, Google News etc).

For those not aware of it, it’s perhaps also worth mentioning PressReader. If you have a library membership (e.g. local public library or a university library) you can probably access several newspapers and magazines for free via PressReader.

4 Likes

Honestly the Apple News app, more and more.

Even for free you can get a wide range of opinions and news I think.

Occasionally I might check out the beeb or even read an actual paper with a coffee on a Sunday.

2 Likes

Just how I fold the Sunday times, but couldn’t explain it as well as that, good job!

1 Like

Apple News app. It offers me articles from both left- and right-leaning papers and sites and also Entertainment news.

6 Likes

Do you like the way Apple news displays an article at a time on screen instead of the actual newspaper page that other apps do? I prefer the whole page on screen (on iPad) although it means quite small print.

1 Like

It works fine for me, although if I like a particular article I might visit the source’s own website and browse.

2 Likes

I have to run into town for few bits for lunch so think I’m treating myself to a paper today.

3 Likes

They don’t print The Independent anymore? :scream::exploding_head:

1 Like

They stopped in March 2016 (I didn’t think it was that long ago wow, it’s gone quickly) :newspaper:

2 Likes

There is still the baby independent, the i paper.

2 Likes

Wow! Shows the last time I even looked at a newspaper stand

1 Like

the i was originally a sister paper to The Independent but it was sold off when they went digital only, the company it was sold to went under and these days it’s owned by Daily Mail and General Trust

2 Likes